Waharaka Thero English Subs Discourse

• This topic has 66 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Lal.
Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author
      Christian
      Participant

I hope it’s worth mentioning :)

Lal
      Keymaster

I just saw it. Hopefully, it ill be beneficial to many. Thank you!

Sadhu! Sadhu!! Sadhu!!!

June 13, 2020: I had not gone through the English version until today. I see that there are many corrections that need to be made. That is true for the second video below as well.

y not
      Participant

It was certainly worth it, Christian. Thank you.

Now…how about Part One?

(Call me greedy if you like; in this case I won’t mind!)

y not
      Participant

Yes!!

Thank you ever so much, Lang

Lal
      Keymaster

Sorry about the confusion.
      – I have deleted some of the repeated comments.
      – The second desana with English subtitles is below.

When Lang (cubibobi) tried to post the link to the second desana, it did not appear first. When I posted it for him, I inadvertently posted the wrong link (the one Christian had posted.)

Anyway, it turns out that Lang’s post was waiting for me to approve, and that was not clear to me.

The bottom line is the following.
      – The forum software was updated a couple of days ago. It seems to be working better, other than the glitch that we saw with Lang’s post.
      – Most of the postings appear to go through without a glitch.
      – If your comment does not appear right away, please send me an email ([email protected]). It may be waiting to be “approved.” I am not sure why the software is doing that randomly. Hopefully, they will get it right next.

Thanks, Lang. My apologies for the confusion.

cubibobi
      Participant

Oops, sorry, I must have given Lal the wrong URL:

නිවන් දකින හරිමග කුමක්ද ? | With English Subtitles

AxelSnaxel
      Participant

I got thinking Lal, that you could reach out to the person creating the English subtitles and collaborate with him. Then you could add subtitles to key sermons together and you could create commentary posts here on Puredhamma.net

y not
      Participant

“the person creating the English subtitles”?? ….the person who accessed the videos in the first place rather, if that be not Christian himself. The translation is horrible in places, unintelligible.

I had once made a similar request to Lal myself, and the reply was that Puredhamma.net IS precisely that – the gist of the Ven. Thero’s discourses.

Lal
      Keymaster

I do not know the person, Axel.

I think it would be a good idea to just post the converted English text (maybe in addition to the current format.) Then one can read the text first and then listen to desana.
      – That will be really helpful for someone like you, who is making an effort to learn the Sinhala language.

– If you know the person who has done the conversion, please make the suggestion to him.

P.S. I have only limited time in a day, y not.
      I am glad that someone has taken the time to do it. Much merits to him/her.

y not
      Participant

Thanks Lal,

“I have only limited time in a day” – that is why I said what I did at the end.

I am grateful to you and to whoever did the translation, however. Not knowing Sinhala. I would not have been able to understand a thing.

Christian
      Participant

Those translation are not mine, I know they are not perfect but Waharaka javana makes up many thing. If this can be done better then we can create donations for you Lal or person who may translate it better ways.

y not
      Participant

I am all for donations, Christian. Inflib (dona) had made this suggestion of donations once, about the time this Site was set up, or not long after that, but that was to help Lal maintain the Site.

In our case here, it would take someone who knows Sinhalese perfectly, English to a very good degree, and most importantly, have the ‘special knowledge’ of what the individual words are meant to convey AND a more than adequate rendering of that in English words or phrases; and who has the time for it. Not easy, as I see. In that eventuality I too will contribute. Thank you, Christian.
      Lal:

You may have misread the intent of my comment when replying “I have only limited time in a day”.

I was not saying that I had once asked you to do this and you did not or refused- rather, you have ALREADY done it in launching and maintaining Puredhamma.net. That is what I meant. For which I, and others I am sure, are forever grateful.

I feel bad when I feel I have been misunderstood, but worse when I suspect that I may have even inadvertently hurt some one in any way. If that is the case, please forgive me.

Lal
      Keymaster

Don’t worry about it, y not. I understand.

There is no need to contribute to maintaining the puredhamma.net site.
      – But the thought is what counts and may you all accrue many merits for them.

As for converting Waharaka Desana, I personally do not have time for it.
      – But as I have mentioned many times, that is in effect what I do. Of course, I complement what I learned from Waharaka Thero with my science background.
      – In the latter, sometimes science helps make the presentation stronger, and other times Buddha Dhamma can point out flaws in some scientific theories.

Lal
      Keymaster

Lvalio (Lair) has transcribed the first video that Christian posted. Lair emailed it to me since he cannot post the long document. I have converted his Word document to a pdf and the link is given below.
      – Since it is the second video in the series it is labeled as #2.

Much merits to Lair for taking the time to go through the laborious process!

June 13, 2020: Lair sent me the Word document of the English translation of the second video. I went through it and found that it needs to be revised.
      – Then I went through the document for the other video that was posted here. It also needs to be revised.
      – Therefore, I deleted the document that was posted here.
      – I hope to go through both documents and posts them here. It may take several days.

Lal
      Keymaster

It turned out that the English transcriptions for both videos need substantial revision. Please see my revised comments above.
      – However, I must thank both the person who had done the original transcription and also Lair for their efforts. I can appreciate how much time each of them would have spent. Much merits to them and their families!
      – Yet, the goal of all of us is to make the teachings of the Buddha available to others to the best of our ability. I should have checked the document before posting it. It was my fault for not doing that.

Lal
      Keymaster

I have completed revising and expanding of the document for the first desana (posted by cubibobi on May 31, 2020). The first video posted by Christian posted on May 29, 2020 is the second video in the series.
      – I have done only half of the desana. I just wanted to get it out since it is fairly long.
      – It may take me a few more days to complete the second half of the desana.

June 26, 2020: Here is the full text of the FIRST transcribed discourse;
      The Way to Nibbāna

The original document was drafted off of the above-mentioned video with English subtitles by Janith Boniface Fernando. A Word document was made using that English text by Lair Valio Alves and Seng Kiat Ng.
      – Many merits to all who contributed to this effort!

P.S. July 6, 2020: I have updated a revised version.

Lal
      Keymaster

Today, I received an email from Janith Boniface Fernando. He is the person who had compiled the Waharaka Thero Discourses with English subtitles.

He has sent me the English and Sinhala text files for the three videos that he has published so far.
      – I am posting the three videos in the correct order together with the pdf for his English translations.
      – Of course, yesterday I posted my revised and expanded English text for the first video above. I will post the rest of my expanded translation for that first video above so that the complete text will be available there.
      – Many merits to Janith Fernando for sharing with us these files.

First Video:

English and Sinhala text for the First Discourse

Second Video:

English and Sinhala text for the Second Discourse

Third Video:

English and Sinhala text for the Third Discourse

June 25, 2020
      Fourth Video:

English-and-Sinhala-Text-Fourth-Discourse.pdf

June 28, 2020
      Fifth Video:

What is the ideal way to attain Nirvana leading a lay life – Part 05

July 11, 2020
      Sixth Video:

What is the ideal way to attain Nirvana leading a lay life – Part 06

July 28, 2020
      Seventh Video:

What is the ideal way to attain Nibbana leading a lay life – Part 07

Aug. 15, 2020
      Eighth Video:

Septemeber 11, 2020 – Ninth Video

I have not received the text files for the last two.

Lal
      Keymaster

I have completed the document on the first transcribed discourse by Waharaka Thero. There are four in the series as of today (see the above post). I will keep adding future ones as I receive from Janith Fernando.

Here is the full text of the FIRST transcribed discourse;
      The Way to Nibbāna

Feel free to make comments or to ask questions.
      – I do not plan to do the same for the other discourses in the series, at least not in the near future.
      – Instead, I am thinking about the possibility of expanding this document (and adding references to relevant posts at puredhamma.net).

P.S. July 6, 2020: I have updated the above link to a revised version.

cubibobi
      Participant

Our immense gratitude for your painstaking effort. This is a treasure for us!

Lukas
      Participant

Sadhu sadhu sadhu,
      many thanks to all who were involved starting with Janith Boniface Fernando. It is much appreciated.

I don’t speak Sinhala and listening and reading the desana got me out of a mental lull I had been in for a week or so.

May these words reach all who are looking for solace and may they all attain Nibbāna.

Likewise may everyone who was and is involved in this meritorious deed attain Nibbāna. ?

Lal
      Keymaster

August 1, 2020: There is a second series of Waharaka discourses with English subtitles by Waharak TV

Christian posted the first video of the series:

Universal Truth Exposure | Episode 01 – Know the Thilakuna

Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun) sent me the next two videos of the series today (August 1, 2020):

Episode 02 – Know the Thilakuna | Universal Truth Exposure

Universal Truth Exposure | Episode 03

Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun) sent me the fourth video of the series today (August 15, 2020):
      Episode 04 | Understanding grief | With English Subtitles

Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun) sent me the fifth video of the series today (September 11, 2020):
      Episode 05 | World and its real suffering | With English Subtitles

Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun) sent me the sixth video of the series today (September 22, 2020):
      Episode 06 | Deceptive view of the world

Lal
      Keymaster

Added part 6 of the Series to Janith Fernando’s transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on June 19, 2020, above.

y not
      Participant

A pertinent question has just come to mind.

It concerns those who want to attain the Sotapanna stage. It has all but been firmly established that for that to happen listening is necessary.

Now someone playing (I must put it that way, I will show why) a recorded desana discourse delivered in Sinhala (with a liberal incorporation of Pali terms) is only hearing the desana (not listening to) when the understanding comes only from reading the transcription in English.

I feel the ‘Ariya effect’ (even when recorded) still contributes to the impact on the ‘hearers'(if not ‘listeners’) – but to what extent?

AxelSnaxel
        Participant

I have not heard of any source in the suttas that sotapanna phala can only happen while listening, and Lal has not found it either.
        I am of the personal opinion that it can also very well happen in meditation when reflecting upon the Dhamma one has heard before.

I think the reason why listening works so well though, is because you are actively sustaining in savittakka, savicara and get uplifted by the energy of the voice, and thereby approach the 1st Jhana. When reading the subtitles you are doing the same. Hence you feel the “Ariya effect” which is nothing but the arising of jhana factors due to savitakka savicara.

However when reading a post you do not get that sustained attention in the same way, since you don’t have the assistance of a voice to pay attention to. But I am sure many of you can relate to experiencing the same piti sukha when stopping and reflecting on what you just read. Hence I believe listening is not required for sotapanna phala to happen, but certainly immensely helpful.

y not
      Participant

Axel,

I too am for all that you say there.

Yet the fact remains that all those who attained during the Buddha’s time, and even afterwards, did so on listening to a desana. The uncertainty that we face is because at that time the Tipitaka had not yet been committed to writing, to say nothing of printing. There were no options to compound the issue. No wonder the suttas are silent on the matter – the question simply could not arise.

But what about previous Buddha sasana (pl.)? It is altogether possible that writing, printing and other forms of communication had been developed in this and previous kalpas during a Buddha sasana. In such a case, a jati-Sotapanna who has developed the power to see into that past life could help!

Lal
      Keymaster

I have discussed this issue in the post, “Four Conditions for Attaining Sōtapanna Magga/Phala“.

The latest information that I have is at #3 of that post, which I quote below:

“3. September 22, 2017: Previously, I had stated that one could learn about Tilakkhana by reading these days. That is still true and one could become a Sōtapanna anugāmi by reading.

– However, recently I came upon a dēsanā by the Waharaka Thēro which stated that a Sōtapanna anugāmi attains the Sōtapanna stage only while listening to a dēsanā by an Ariya (Noble person, i.e., one with at least the Sōtapanna stage).

– Apparently, a Sōtadvāra citta vithi of an Ariya (during a dēsanā) has the necessary javana power to act as a trigger. I am trying to find a Tipitaka reference, and I would appreciate receiving it from anyone who has that information. I will edit this post to include that reference when I find it.

– July 15, 2019: I still have not seen a definitive Tipitaka reference regarding this issue. However, all suttā on the conditions for attaining Sōtapanna stage list saddham­mas­savanaṃ (saddham­ma + savanaṃ or “listening to Dhamma”) as one condition, as in #1 above. Since written texts were not available at the time of the Buddha, this is not definitive as a condition.

– However, Waharaka Thēro has mentioned that listening to a recorded dēsanā should count, per his opinion.”

Here is another key point:
      Listening is not required to attain the Sotapanna Anugāmi stage.
      It is also clear that a Sotapanna Anugami is also freed from the apāyās. See, “Sōtapanna Anugāmi – No More Births in the Apāyās

P.S. In other words, a Sotapanna Anugami is guaranteed to attain the Sotapanna stage.

Ani Sus
      Participant

All, I am Ani Sus from Jakarta, Indonesia. I have been following the activities in Puredhamma.net for sometime and very happy that I find this site. This is my first comment. I just want to express my deepest gratitude to all parties who enabled many of us to finally listen to Waharaka Thero’s desanas. May they all be well, happy and peaceful.

Agree with Cubicobi, these are indeed our treasure!

Ani

Lal
      Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, Ani!

Lal
      Keymaster

Added part 7 of the Series to Janith Fernando’s transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on June 19, 2020, above.

Lal
      Keymaster

Added parts 2 and 3 of the Series to Waharaka TV transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on July 10, 2020, above.

Lvalio
      Participant

I have the transcription of the first desana from Waharaka Thero: “Know the Thilakuna – Universal Truth Exposure – Episode 01”
      But the other two desanas I couldn’t have it, only the video. Not the transcription…
      Does anyone have these transcripts?

Lvalio
      Participant

Lal Said:
      “Here is another key point:
      It is also clear that a Sotapanna Anugami is also freed from the apāyās. See,
      “Sōtapanna Anugāmi – No More Births in the Apāyās”

It is clear to me that he will be able to reach all other stages of Nibbana without hearing a desana, only reading and talking and participating in meetings with Aryas as is the case of “Puredhamma.net!”

Lvalio
      Participant

To All of you!
      Many thanks to all of you of this FORUM…
      May the blessings of the Lord Buddha, Dhamma and Samgha be with all of you,
      Thank you, Lal for everything you do for me and everyone…
      Lair

Lal
      Keymaster

Hello Lair,

In case you are not aware, there are TWO sets of videos with English subtitles.

1. The first set is listed in my post dated June 19, 2020 (see above). This set of videos is by Janith Fernando.
      – The English (and Sinhala) texts for each video are provided under each video in pdf files (see above).
      – By the way, this was done AFTER you and Seng Kiat helped create a document off of the screenshots for the first video. Now, Janith Fernando is sending me the texts and I post them under each video.
      – I revised and expanded the first transcript that you and Seng Kiat made. I posted that document on June 18, 2020 (see above).

2. There is a second set of videos by Waharaka TV. They are posted in my post dated July 10, 2020 (see above).
      – These have English text only on the video screen.
      – No text files are available for these videos.

If it is still not clear, please send me an email. Thanks!

Lal
      Keymaster

Added part 4 of the Series to Waharaka TV transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on July 10, 2020, above.

Also added part 8 of the Series to Janith Fernando’s transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on June 19, 2020, above.

– Both were sent to me by Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun). Thanks, Hojanyun!

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

I would like to sincerely thank you all involved with translating, editing and uploading of these desana’s of Waharaka Thero’s. These video’s has brought me tremendous benefit and as well everyone’s work of sharing the Dhamma here on this website. I truly appreciate it. Thank you and much merits to you all. Saddhu saddhu saddhu

Lal
      Keymaster

The following post is by Lvalio (Lair):

Lal Said: “Here is another key point:
      It is also clear that a Sotapanna Anugami is also freed from the apāyās. See, “Sōtapanna Anugāmi – No More Births in the Apāyās”
      P.S. In other words, a Sotapanna Anugami is guaranteed to attain the Sotapanna stage”.

Now, if one attains the Sotapanna Anugāmi stage it´s clear to me that soon or later he(she) will attain the Sotapana Stage. So I think that the most important thing is not to read or listen but learn the Dhamma, understanding the Dhamma…

That´s what I think.

Lair

y not
      Participant

Heavens!!

Having first scrolled back to see what the topic is about exactly before reading the latest here, I had this before me:

“Here is another key point:
      ….
      P.S. In other words, a Sotapanna Anugami is guaranteed to attain the Sotapanna stage.”

And the thought: well, in that case, if listening is not necessary TO GET ONTO the Path, and the Sotapanna Stage itself is guaranteed after that, then LISTENING IS GUARANTEED in between (for the Ven. Thero to be right). And if so, that will be the work of Dhammata in some way.

Then I read Lair’s entry above.!

Plus: I woke up at 01:30 (15’ago). That rarely happens. Normally it is around 05:00. It seems I awoke just for this.

Lal
      Keymaster

y not wrote: “And if so, that will be the work of Dhammata in some way.”

Yes. That is why it is said that “Dhamma will protect and guide those who abide by Dhamma”.
      – To “abide by Dhamma” one needs to understand it.

If one starts TRULY COMPREHSNDING Dhamma (i.e., Tilakkhana or the unfruitfulness of this world or the First Noble Truth on suffering), then that is the beginning of the Noble Path.
      – Then one is guaranteed to get to the Sotapanna phala moment.

Lal
      Keymaster

The following post is by Triplegem3:

Episode 05 World and it’s real suffering

I would like to thank all the people involved in the distribution of this video, it’s was a tremendous help to me. Much merits to everyone involved. Saddhu saddhu saddhu.

It seems like, no matter how much I read something and understand it intellectually. It feels like it’s not the same when I can explain it/convince to myself or come up with my own examples and experiences to match with what I learned

A few weeks ago, I came to a realization one way for me to understand the Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta nature was like. “Hey wait a minute . . . one way I can understand about Anicca is that I can’t keep/maintain my FIVE SENSES to my satisfaction !! And because of this, I’m constantly in Dukkha and don’t even realize it. This is why I always have the urge to do something with my 5 senses and this can be one way to understand why our existence/reality is Dukkha. In order to satisfy these urges/senses, I have to add more Dukkha Dukkha. (Adding more Dukkha just to satisfy the first Dukkha) In order to do these things. I have to do Sankhara Dukkha. So if I’m doing abhiSankhara, that’s only causing me more Dukkha, just to satisfy the Dukkha I feel from not being able to maintain/keep my 5 senses to my liking! What am I’m doing all this Sankhara Dukkha for?

[ONLY FOR MORE DUKKHA THAT I’M GOING TO CREATE FOR MYSELF IN THE PRESENT AND INTO FUTURE AND ALL FOR WHAT? ANATTA something that’s no essence/unfruitful/meaningless/no refuge”] I felt 18:00 – 18:37 of the video helped me to confirm what I was realizing, it was so helpful.

From this, it helped me understand a little deeper when Lord Buddha used the word “Atteyati” (I’m probably wrong on the spelling) to describe all abhiSankhara. A dog chewing on a meatless bone. .In fact, I also feel like, I’m pouring gasoline on myself . . . When I realized this, I slapped myself on the face a few times and shook my head and said “What have I been doing all this time?” The Buddha Dhamma is so beautiful hahaha.

I’m just wondering, what I mentioned about not able to maintain/keep my 5 senses to my liking/satisfactions. Is it the same or something very similar as to what’s being taught from the 7:20 – 8:04 of the video?

I couldn’t completely understand Dukkha Dukkha for a while, even after reading about it. I’m just wondering would it be appropriate for me (from my own understanding) to say Dukkha Dukkha is having to ADD MORE DUKKHA just to satisfy the baseline Dukkha that I feel from my 5 senses? This extra Dukkha is from having to do more Abhisankhara. As well, another way to describe Dukkha Dukkha is from Vedana that arises in two ways. One from mentally (samphassa ja-vedana, my gati,asava’s getting attached) and another physically (such as physical ailments, pain). I know Lal wrote about this, but I’m just wondering if my own understanding of this Dukkha Dukkha is in line with what Lal has described Dukkha Dukkha as?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes, Triplegem3! You seem to have got the idea.

You seem the have realized that we are chasing a mirage when we try to pursue sense gratification. One only gets tired (and old) in the end while relentlessly pursuing “pleasurable things” in this world.
      – Of course, one gets rewarded at times on the way. But by the time death comes, there is nothing to show for it. Of course, one may have accumulated vast wealth but may be too frail and old to enjoy it. In any case, the thought of leaving all that behind at death is also part of suffering.

As for the terminology, the following is one way to look at it.
      – Dukkha dukkha is mostly suffering due to past bad kamma (or bad kamma vipaka). It is strongest in the lower realms but is present significantly in the human realm.
      – The viparinama dukkha is dominant in higher realms. Even though there is no significant dukkha dukkha in Deva and Brahma realms, they also age and die.
      – All three types of dukkha are in the human realm. Humans endure significant sankhara dukkha. Part of this is the effort to try to access more sense pleasures. When those accumulated valuables start decaying or destruction, then we need to engage in more sankhara to maintain them. Being worried about all that is also sankhara dukkha. Samphassa ja-vedana belongs to sankhara dukkha.

If I have stated otherwise in earlier posts, please let me know. I may need to revise them.

Also see, “First noble truth

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Lal says: “You seem the have realized that we are chasing a mirage”

– I would say that’s a nice way of saying things :) It seems like I’m also walking to a death trap or chasing a trap of “perceived pleasures” that is a (mirage) which only leads me to more suffering with no end until realize that I’m walking into a trap and will have to suffer tremendously. – So beautiful to realize such an realization :)

11:15 – 13:33 of the video

Helped me to be able to explain to myself and possibly to others how the “God” or “Creator” concept can be explained in a different way. I remember reading something similar from somewhere, maybe it was on this website. The teaching from the video was a helpful reminder and teaching.

Thank you for the feedback and teaching Lal. Theruwan Saranayi.

y not
      Participant

2:27:

“But the brahma who was born prior to all others thinks how nice it would be if there are others in here. I wish others to come here and I won’t be alone”

A brahma realm inhabited by just one being?(before only the second arrives?)!! ‘Prior to all others’?? Those existences last for many mahakappas. Is this saying there was at least one point in time when this Baka Brahma was all by himself in that brahma world? !!!

It would be like saying there is a planet somewhere with only one inhabitant on it.

Is the transcription correct?

Lal
      Keymaster

y not asked: “Is the transcription correct?”

Yes. It is correct.

That Brahma realm was completely destroyed together with the Sun and the Earth.
      – Baka Brahma was the first one to descend to that realm from the higher realm.

y not
      Participant

Now it makes sense.

Thanks Lal.

Lal
      Keymaster

Added part 5 of the Series to Waharaka TV transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on July 10, 2020, above.

Also added part 9 of the Series to Janith Fernando’s transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on June 19, 2020, above.

– Both were sent to me by Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun). Thanks, Hojanyun!

Lal
      Keymaster

Added part 6 of the Series to Waharaka TV transcriptions of Waharaka Thero’s Desanas listed in my post on July 10, 2020, above.

– It was sent to me by Patighosa Hojan (Hojanyun). Thanks, Hojanyun!

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Waharaka Thero – Universal Truth Exposure | Episode 07 – Know the Thilakuna

Have I understood this correctly? At 39:57 of the video. The subtitle says the “Dukkhaskandha (the aggregate of suffering) is panchaskandha. Is that the same as saying the pancakkhandha is dukkha?

I have been contemplating on this recently and still am. “Is the Pancakkhandha dukkha?” The answer that I’m able to come up with, pancakkhandha “is” dukkha, but it’s not the cause of dukkha. To me “is” and “cause” of dukkha is two different things, but can be one of the same. The “cause” of dukkha is of course the panca upadanakkhandha or tanha. From what I contemplated on, the Panca upadanakkhanda is the kamma or the causes of dukkha, while pancakkhandha is the vipaka or the effect of dukkha. One can argue that there is sukha vipaka in the pancakkhandha, but the sukha vipaka is anicca and anatta for sure. It’s like the bait on the fishing hook. The pancakkhandha is the bait, while the panca upadanakkhandha is biting on the bait.

Or

Another way that I support my answer to the question “Is the pancakkhandha dukkha?”. Is that the pancakkhandha belongs to this world that is anicca, dukkha, anatta or “Evametassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa samudayō hōti “. Nibbana, which is the end of suffering, there is no pancakkhandha. There’s also other ways that I can think of to support my answer. If anyone has any feedback or notice any gaps in my understanding, please do share.

Lal
      Keymaster

TripleGemStudent asked: “Have I understood this correctly? At 39:57 of the video. The subtitle says the “Dukkhaskandha (the aggregate of suffering) is panchaskandha. Is that the same as saying the pancakkhandha is dukkha?

I have been contemplating on this recently and still am. “Is the Pancakkhandha dukkha?” The answer that I’m able to come up with, pancakkhandha “is” dukkha, but it’s not the cause of dukkha..”

Yes. You understood correctly.

– Pancakkhandha is dukkha.
      – But one is still “engaged with pancakkhandha” because one had made causes for the current human body to ARISE via panca upadanakkhadha (i.e., craving for pancakkhandha) in previous lives.
      – This current body is a RESULT. It will have to bear any suffering that comes with it (Ven. Moggallana was beaten to death, and even the Buddha had some ailments and an injury).

We need to ALWAYS think about suffering from INSIGHT/WISDOM, and NOT with FEELINGS.

The CAUSE of FUTURE suffering is panca upadanakkhadha.

P.S. In other words, what an average human perceives to be “pleasure” is actually the CAUSE of future suffering (only Noble Persons, who have comprehended Noble Turths/Paticca Samuppada/Tilakkhana, can see that).

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Walking on the noble eightfold path would be so difficult without kalana mitta’s, especially ariya one’s. I have been unsure of my own answer to what I asked in my previous post for a few weeks. I feel it’s so important to get feedback on what one contemplates and comprehends to make sure one doesn’t have the wrong views about the Buddha Dhamma.

Thank you Lal and everyone else for your time and responding accordingly to what one feel is appropriate. It’s a tremendous help and beneficial. Thank you again. Saddhu saddhu saddhu.

Lal says:

“We need to ALWAYS think about suffering from INSIGHT/WISDOM, and NOT with FEELINGS”

I believe examples of that would be seeing “dukkha” from anicca, P.S., Assada/Adinava/Nissarana. As well like you emphasize “suffering in the rebirth process” and “future suffering”.

May any merits obtained from this discussion, be shared/offered to all the worldly living beings wherever they might be. May the power of these merits help all worldly living beings attain the supreme bliss of Nibbana. Saddhu saddhu saddhu.

Lal
      Keymaster

The words “pancakkhandha” and “panca upadanakkhadha” could sound too abstract.

It could be easier to visualize “world” and “those things in the world that one craves“.

Each person’s “pancakkhandha” or the “world” is his/her own.
      – In the same way, “panca upadanakkhadha” is one’s own. Different people crave different things.

With those cravings, a person would think, speak, and do deeds via mano, vaci, and kaya sankhara with the hope of “enjoying life.”
      – But one generates MOST of those sankhara with avijja (“avijja paccaya sankhara“), because one does not realize the long-term bad consequences of such desires. In particular, any immoral deeds done (with the mind, speech, or actions) WILL lead to dangerous consequences.

It is good to think in terms of Noble Truths, Paticca Samuppada, and Tilakkhana. They are all inter-connected.
      – Of course, the “big picture” of a rebirth process among 31 realms must be contemplated.

cubibobi
      Participant

Hi all,

I thought this forum might be a good place to post this. I came upon a series on desanas on YouTube. The first 2 are below. You can find all the others by searching on YouTube. I’ve listened to just 2, but it seems very much like what Lal teaches.

Path to Nibbhana – Season 1 – Episode 1 – Basic Understanding of Buddhism – Discourse 05 Mar 2020

Path to Nibbhana – Season 1 – Episode 2 – Becoming Sothapanna by Listening – Discourse 12 Mar 2020

Best,
      Lang

Lal
      Keymaster

Thanks, Lang.

I just listened to it a little bit. Seems to be consistent with Waharaka Thero’s Teachings.

LayDhammaFollower
      Participant

I am compiling all the PLAYLIST of venerable waharaka thero’s Sermons with ENGLISH TRANSCRIPT:

PLAYLIST NAME:
      “LET’S LEARN THE REALITY OF THE WORLD PRECISELY – Light Of the wisdom – Sooryavloka Series”

There are 7 videos in this playlist.

This is the link to playlist (↓)

One more video of series not included in above seven videos series;

This above single video is about AnulōmaSanthiya and SammathaNiyama. I do not know what that is, as of writing now.

This following link is for playlist of waharaka thero on various topics;

Following Link (↓) is for video playlist series, Know the Thilukhuna – Let’s learn the reality of world precisely. Eight videos in total.

Following last videos series (↓) has no series name in English except first video in series is titled as “what is the right way to attain nibbanā?” contains five videos.

—————

That’s all playlist and videos I could find as of now.

May this be of much help and benifit to everyone who hears and learns from it.

cubibobi
      Participant

Thank you, LayDhammaFollower.

Also, you said:

“This above single video is about AnulōmaSanthiya and SammathaNiyama. I do not know what that is, as of writing now.”

I assume that they are the Sinhala words for the Pali words Anuloma Khanti and Sammattaniyāma, which are the prerequisites for the sotapanna stage.

See:

Anuloma Khanti and Sammattaniyāma – Pre-requisites for a Sotapanna

Best,
      Lang

LayDhammaFollower
      Participant

To #38357

Thank you for clarification, Lang!

It didn’t occurred to me that those were of sinhala language.

Now, it makes senses.

Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Dear Dhamma friend…
      Thank you so much for compiling all these precious desanas…
      May the blessings of the Noble Triple Gem be with you !!!

y not
      Participant

Latest Waharaka discourse with English subtitles.

“The nature felt while receiving rūpa-jhāna & arūpa-jhāna”

Go to ‘Waharaka Thera Waruna’ site. It is the first vid on the left, with the detail
      ‘premiered 2 hours ago’, duration 1:04:32.

Lal, please provide the link in the proper manner, will you?

Lal
      Keymaster

I am not sure how good the translation is since I have not listened to any of the videos in this series. I remember we ran into some issues with a previous translation. Please point out any possible errors or questions about the translations, and I can look into them.
      – Please make sure to provide the time stamp regarding any questions. I don’t have the time to watch the whole video.

y not
      Participant

Thanks Lal,

I am no one to be able to spot errors in translation, since I do not know Sinhala. Best I can do is remark on places of inconsistency with Dhamma where it appears so to me purely in the English translation in itself. I too have still to ‘read’ (in my case) the desana.

My immediate aim was to make it available to others as soon as possible, seeing that for some tomorrow may be too late. So,
      Thank You.

with Metta

Lal
      Keymaster

“I am no one to be able to spot errors in translation, since I do not know Sinhala. Best I can do is remark on places of inconsistency with Dhamma where it appears so to me purely in the English translation in itself.”

– Yes. Those are the same. Any inconsistency would arise due to a problem with the translation. That is what happened last time.

Jorg
      Participant

Theruwan Saranai!

Technical note:
      I remember my post got all distorted last time I posted. However, I followed the instructions that were given last time. I’m not sure Why this happened again. “<br/>” gets added everywhere. What can I do about this? Anybody knows?

What Kind of a Person is Sōvan Path-follower | With English Subtitles

Lal
      Keymaster

Jorg: I explained in detail how to do the formatting in the following thread (@January 30, 2023 at 7:03 am):

Compilation of experience note

Please feel free to test it out there, as I mentioned (by writing “TESTING” at the top of the comment, so that others know it is a “test post” and I can delete it later).

P.S. I listened to it starting at 45 mins.

@45 mins: They translate “pilana” as “vexation.”  In the post, “Anicca – The Incessant Distress (“Pīḷana”)” I used “distress.”

That post also covers “aṭṭīyati, harāyati, jigucchati ” described within your time stamps.

Jorg
      Participant

Thank you Lal, let’s see if my successful formatting from that post translates in a successful format here.

What about the word “disgusting” in this timestamp?

edit: Just now there was another <br/> behind the link. I removed the link and readded it again. It seemed to have worked. Not sure why it happened again. Perhaps I forgot to add “new window” and it’s that what caused it.

Lal
      Keymaster

Congratulations! Jorg. You got it. Perfect!

Regarding the discourse:

• They used the word “disgusting” to translate “asubha,” which is not quite right. “Asubha” means “not beneficial.”
      • However, that is in the context of describing the “jigucchati” nature associated with the “anicca nature of generating (abhi)sankhara.” Here, “jigucchati” does mean “something that is to be rejected as one would reject feces/excrements. An ignorant person would embrace/cultivate abhisankhara, but a Noble Person would not embrace them but reject them (they always lead to suffering, even if that may happen only in the future.)
      • This is why two translations may not provide the same meanings. 

P.S. When you copy a title of a post and paste it, it may appear in big letters corresponding to a “heading” like this: 

“Waharaka Thero English Subs Discourse”

• It will say “Heading 1” in the drop-down box in the second formatting row.
      • Here, click on that box and select “paragraph,” which will reduce the text’s size. Now you can select that text and add the link.
      Jorg
      Participant

I didn’t notice that dropdown icon before. Shame on me. But now I see where I can adjust it, thanks!

Regarding the translation, It’s very helpful in knowing that “disgusting” was used to translate asubha. Now that segment makes a lot more sense.

Lal
      Keymaster

Good to hear, Jorg.

I know that the formatting bar needs a bit of time to get used to. But it is the same formatting used by many WordPress blog writers. 

• It provides a lot more options than the one we used previously. 
      • It is beneficial to take the time and format the comments in two ways. It helps the reader and also helps the writer in the way of “slowing down.” It gives you a bit of time to think about what you write.
      • Please test its features on any thread by starting the comment with “TESTING.” I can delete them later.
Viewing 65 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.