December 7, 2016
1. In the previous desana, “Suffering in This Life and Paṭicca Samuppāda“, we discussed one application of Paṭicca Samuppāda (PS).
- Here, we will continue that discussion to gain more insights and discuss the importance in controlling vaci saṅkhāra during Satipaṭṭhāna and Ānāpānasati bhavana.
2. I have posted three new essays in other sections at the website since that time.
- Correct Meaning of Vaci Saṅkhāra
- Āsevana and Aññamañña Paccayā
- Sutta Learning Sequence for the Present Day
They are relevant to the discussions in this section.
3. Here are the PS sequences for reference, as you go though the discussion. You may want to make a printout of this post or have this post open while listening.
- Avijja paccayā saṅkhāra, saṅkhāra paccayā viññāṇa, viññāṇa paccayā nāmarupa, nāmarupa paccayā salāyatana, salāyatana paccayā phassa, phassa paccayā vedana, vedana paccayā taṇhā, taṇhā paccayā upādāna, upādāna paccayā bhava, bhava paccayā jāti, jāti paccayā jarā, marana, soka, parideva, dukkha, domanassa, upasaya sambhavan ti“.
The cycle ends with marana or death and describes the time evolution of how a sankata (whether it is a thought process or a living being or an inert entity) arises and eventually dies.
New desana: “Suffering in This Life and Paṭicca Samuppāda II”
Links mentioned in the desana:
1. Posts in the “Paṭicca Samuppāda” section can be consulted for details on Paṭicca Samuppāda cycles.
2. Time evolution of a sankata:
Root Cause of Anicca – Five Stages of a Sankata
- Difference between and Vaya (destruction of sankata that has arisen) and Nirodha (stopping of the arising of a sankata).
Nirödha and Vaya – Two Different Concepts
- How “random thoughts” come to our minds:
Our Two Worlds : Material and Mental
What are Dhamma? – A Deeper Analysis
4. Two types of vedana:
True meaning of tanha:
Why suitable conditions are necessary to bring kamma vipāka:
Cultivating good gati and removing bad gati through Ānāpānasati (and Satipaṭṭhāna):