December 7, 2016
1. In the previous desana, “Suffering in This Life and Paticca Samuppada“, we discussed one application of Paticca Samuppada (PS).
- Here, we will continue that discussion to gain more insights and discuss the importance in controlling vaci sankhara during Satipattana and Anapanasati bhavana.
2. I have posted three new essays in other sections at the website since that time.
- Correct Meaning of Vaci Sankhara
- Asevana and Annamanna Paccaya
- Sutta Learning Sequence for the Present Day
They are relevant to the discussions in this section.
3. Here are the PS sequences for reference, as you go though the discussion. You may want to make a printout of this post or have this post open while listening.
- Avijja paccaya sankhara, sankhara paccaya vinnana, vinnana paccaya namarupa, namarupa paccaya salayatana, salayatana paccaya phassa, phassa paccaya vedana, vedana paccaya tanha, tanha paccaya upadana, upadana paccaya bhava, bhava paccaya jati, jati paccaya jara, marana, soka, parideva, dukkha, domanassa, upasaya sambhavan ti“.
The cycle ends with marana or death and describes the time evolution of how a sankata (whether it is a thought process or a living being or an inert entity) arises and eventually dies.
New desana: “Suffering in This Life and Paticca Samuppada II”Download
Links mentioned in the desana:
1. Posts in the “Paticca Samuppada” section can be consulted for details on Paticca Samuppada cycles.
2. Time evolution of a sankata:
- Difference between and Vaya (destruction of sankata that has arisen) and Nirodha (stopping of the arising of a sankata).
- How “random thoughts” come to our minds:
4. Two types of vedana:
True meaning of tanha:
Why suitable conditions are necessary to bring kamma vipaka:
Cultivating good gathi and removing bad gathi through Anapanasati (and Satipattana):