Revised January 20, 2016; May 13, 2019
1. The 37 factors of Enlightenment (Bōdhipakkhiya Dhamma) are the combined number of individual factors in:
- Four Factors of Mindfulness (Cattārō Satipatthāna); see, “Mahā Satipatthāna Sutta“,
- Four Supreme Efforts (Cattārō Sammappadhāna),
- Four Bases of Mental Power (Cattārō Iddhipāda),
- Five Faculties (Panca Indriya),
- Five Powers (Panca Bala),
- Seven Factors of Enlightenment (Satta Bojjhaṅga), and
- Factors of the Noble Eightfold Path (Ariya Attangika Magga).
2. These factors are really mental factors (cetasika). They are labelled with different names under each category in the Table below to highlight its application.
- For example, the paññā cetasika is labelled as vimansa in Four Bases of Mental Power, as dhammavicaya in Satta Bojjhaṅga, and as Sammā Ditthi in the Noble Eightfold Path.
- Under each category, I have listed the term used for that cetasika in that category. For example, in the Noble Eightfold Path, Sammā Vāyāma is the viriya cetasika.
- Thus even though there are 37 factors of Enlightenment, there are only 14 cetasika that will be cultivated while cultivating all seven above categories.
- It is clear that those 7 categories are all inter-related, and thus all 37 factors may be cultivated by focusing only on Cattārō Satipatthāna, Satta Bojjhaṅga, or the Noble Eightfold Path.
3. It is also important to realize that cetasika are related to one’s character (gathi): “Cetasika – Connection to Gathi”
4. The Four Supreme Efforts (Cattārō Sammappadhāna) are the efforts to purify the mind: (i) remove defilements (akusala) that have arisen, (ii) prevent new defilements (akusala) from arising, (iii) enhance wholesome states (kusala) that have arisen, (iv) initiate new wholesome states (kusala).
5. All 37 factors of enlightenment are fulfilled at the Arahant stage.
|Cetasika Involved||Four Supreme Efforts||Iddhipada||Five Faculties||Five Powers||Four Factors of Mindfulness||7 Factors of Enlightenment||Path Factors|
|Panna (wisdom)||vimansa||panna||panna||dhammavicaya||samma ditthi|
|Vitakka (initial application)||samma sankappa|
|Samma vaca||samma vaca|
|Samma kammanata||samma kammanata|
|Samma ajiva||samma ajiva|
|Viriya||four efforts (see #4 above)||viriya||viriya||viriya||viriya||samma vayama|
|Samadhi (one-pointedness)||samadhi||samadhi||samadhi||samma samadhi|