July 6, 2020
This was one of the first discourses by the late Venerable Waharaka Abayarathanalankara Thero. Janith Boniface Fernando has made it into a youtube video with transcription in Sinhala and English languages.
1. This discourse is an introduction to Tilakkhana (anicca, dukkha, anatta) that is critical for one to start on the Noble Eightfold Path.
- I have revised and expanded the English transcript that can be downloaded as a pdf file: Waharaka Thero Discourse – The Way to Nibbana
- This is an updated version of the document that I posted in the discussion forum (see #3).
2. A few comments:
- As I mentioned, this was one of the early discourses, soon after Waharaka Thero started explaining the correct meanings of the Pali words anicca and anatta.
- At that time, Waharaka Thero was also used to the incorrect interpretation of “anicca” and “anatta” as “anitya” and “anātma” in the Sinhala language (and “impermanence” and “no-self” in English.)
- Therefore, even while describing the correct interpretation, he also inadvertently referred to “anicca” as “anitya” and “anatta” as “anātma” once-in-a-while. I have corrected those, of course.
- Furthermore, I have expanded the original text and also referred to a few relevant posts at puredhamma.net.
3. Any comments/questions can be discussed at the discussion forum: Waharaka Thero English Subs Discourse
- Janith Fernando has transcribed a few more of Waharaka Thero’s discourses and both English and Sinhala transcripts (from him) are available under my entry at that forum on June 19, 2020. As he transcribes more discourses, I will add them there. I do not plan to work on other discourses (than the one posted above in #1) any time soon.
- Many merits to Janith and several readers at the discussion forum who contributed to this effort.
4. I just finished updating the section on “The Five Aggregates (Pañcakkhandha).”