Vipassanā etymology

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Lal! Here, in your article https://puredhamma.net/bhavana-meditation/vipassana-vidassana-bhavana-insight-meditation/ you wrote:

Vipassanā (vi+passa means sort and discard, where “vi” is to sort out and “passa” is to discard)

As far as I know, this is a slightly unusual interpretation, and it’s not found anywhere.
      For example, in wikipedia we can see this interpretation:

Vipassanā (Pāli) or vipaśyanā (Sanskrit) literally, “special-seeing”, “special (Vi), seeing (Passanā)”

Can you explain it a little?

Lal
      Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, Newin!

Yes. That was not correct. I just fixed it and made a few more revisions in that old post.
      Thanks for pointing that out.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Lal, thanks for spreading Dhamma!

cubibobi
      Participant

I must admit I like the “old etymology” better — one of “discarding what is bad”; and it is more closely related to anapana.

So, “passa” here is not the same “passa” in “assa / passa”?

And “vi” means different things in different places too, I suppose? In vicikiccā, you explained “vi” as “twisted”.

“vi” (twisted) + passa (assa/passa) would actually make a good combination: discarding what is twisted. It brings the point home better than “special seeing”.

Anyhow, just some musing; a word is what it is despite my liking.

Best,
      Lang

Lal
      Keymaster

The meaning of “discarding what is bad” is INCLUDED in vipassana, Lang.

Vipassana is defined as follows in the section, “2.3.3.32. Samathavipassanāduka” at, “2.3.3. Suttantikadukanikkhepa of dhammasaṅgaṇī“:
      Tattha katamā vipassanā? Yā paññā pajānanā … pe … amoho dhammavicayo sammādiṭṭhi—ayaṃ vuccati vipassanā.”

Therefore, vipassana is connected to paññā (wisdom), dhammavicaya sabbojjhanga, and sammā diṭṭhi.
      – It is the ability “to see” things as they really are. “Passa” also means “to see.”
      – With that understanding, one would know what to “discard” and what to “take in.”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.