Quick-Reference Tool Project

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      JordanC
      Participant

Hello Lal,

I wanted to ask what you think of having a quick reference tool, not only for Dhamma words like with your Pali Glossary pages, but for any Pali or Sinhala words in general (or any words not in the glossary pages). I created a shareable document on Google Drive in order to invite select people to contribute or make edits. Over time, my hope is that it will have every single Pali or Sinhala word on this entire website available with accurate definitions and puredhamma reference links.

Please let me know what you think.

-Jordan

JordanC
      Participant

PS: My intent is that it would evolve organically with a select few people who are Ariyas and that it would not be an additional burden on you. Christian had just suggested that I talk with you about it before going any further.

Lal
      Keymaster

Hello Jordan,

Yes. It seems to be a good idea. But it would be good to see some examples.

Would it be possible to post an “uneditable version” (not a Google Doc, may be a pdf) with some examples and ask people to comment? That way, you can incorporate any improvements too. Just a thought.

I would be happy to comment too.

JordanC
      Participant

I wasn’t sure if my last response showed up. I basically just asked if there was a way to attach a PDF here. I also gave an example of how I would format each term/definition/examples.

Lal
      Keymaster

I did not see an earlier response from you, Jordan.
      – Forum software has been acting up for a while. It is better now, but some comments are not published for some reason that is not clear.

But please email me ([email protected]) the pdf and I can post it here.
      – You can try to post that example again. If that does not work, send that too and I can post all that together.

If anyone else has a problem posting a comment, please email it to me and I can post it.
      – So, it is a good idea to keep a copy of the post.

My apologies for this problem. May be I should consider using some other software. But this is the WordPress approved software for forums. It is called bbPress.

Lal
      Keymaster

The following is the message that I received from Jordan regarding his project described above.

“Here’s the PDF version of what I have prepared so far. On the first page I have an example for how I envisioned the basic outline for a term to be (the “moha” example). Please let me know what you think of the rest as well, if you have time to look it over. It just states my intentions and the idea I had behind how I envisioned the refinement / adding process to go (the first 2 pages).”

The pdf can be accessed here: Pali and Sinhala Master Reference Tool PDF

JordanC
      Participant

Lal,

Do you think this is a wise approach? If so, I’ll contact some of the people in my group to contribute.

-Jordan

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes, Jordan. I think it is a good idea.

I have read the first few pages and format seems to be good. It will be a lot of work for you to put it all together.
      – I will send you some comments on specific items as I go through it.

JordanC
      Participant

Great. And I fully expect this to be something that evolves over the next couple years. Hopefully there’s further interest in the Dhamma group.

I’ll be looking forward to further input. Thank you.

-Jordan

sumbodhi
      Participant

Hi JordanC and Lal,

I would like to join this effort. I’ve checked the PDF and I can contribute by at least fixing some spellings/typos. Personally, spelling Pāḷi correctly is very important to me (also pronouncing it correctly, but that’s another matter).

Let me know how I can get to helping.

JordanC
      Participant

Hi sumbodhi,

Just send me an email reminding me who you are and I can send you the link to the google doc I’ve been adding to. I could definitely use the help.

-Jordan Craig
      [email protected]

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.