Passambhayam

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      passambhaya
      Participant

Theruwan saranai, Dhamma greetings everyone,

Prior to finding puredhamma.net or this Buddha Dhamma I have been introduced to a similar quest for the original teachings known as Tranquil Wisdom Insight Meditation (samatha-vipassanā) or TWIM and it is solely based on the Sutta Piṭaka and is ignoring later commentaries like Visuddhimagga when those commentaries deviate from the Tipitaka. There have apparently been other such so called Suttavadin practices before yet it seems there aren’t at least in the English world many others at this time.

Anyway I just wanted to make a wish of learning more about this term passambhayam if someone could elaborate on it. It’s a key term for the TWIM practice where active relaxation is recommended.

“This Relax step is found in all suttas where the Buddha gives meditation instructions. The Pāli word for tranquilize is passambhaya. See for example the Majjhima Nikāya, suttas 10:5 or 118.”

Theruwan Saranai

May the Blessings of the Noble Triple Gem be with you!

Lal
      Keymaster

Theruwan Saranai, Passambhayam!

You asked, “Anyway I just wanted to make a wish of learning more about this term passambhayam if someone could elaborate on it.”

Passambhayam means “calming down” or “cooling down.”

The verse in the Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta is, “Passambhayaṃ kāyasaṅkhāraṃ assasissāmī’ti sikkhati, ‘passambhayaṃ kāyasaṅkhāraṃ passasissāmī’ti sikkhati.”

That simply means, “One cools down one’s mind by cultivating good kāya saṅkhāra and stopping bad kāya saṅkhāra.”

kāya saṅkhāra are those saṅkhāra that control our bodily actions.
      – So, bad kāya saṅkhāra lead to stealing, hitting, sexual misconduct, etc.
      – Good kāya saṅkhāra lead to giving, physically helping others, etc.

That is a very simple explanation. I have not yet directly discussed that verse. But posts on that sutta at, “Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta.”

Sankhāra discussed at, “Sankhāra – What It Really Means.”
      – As discussed there ALL three types of saṅkhāra (mano, vaci, and kāya) arise in one’s mind.

This section of the Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta is relevant to Anapanasati. It is Section 1.1 Kāyānu­passa­nā­ ā­nāpā­na ­pabba.

Many people, of course, incorrectly translate that verse has something to do with “breathing in and out.”
      – There are several posts on Anapanasati at, “Bhāvanā (Meditation)” section.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.