Correct translation of this beauiful Goenka chant

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Invo.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Invo
      Participant

Hello there :)

Lal, could you please translate this beautiful buddhist chant correctly if your have some time?

http://www.movedbylove.org/projects/tunes/143

My intuitions are such, that some words of this chant could be translated incorrectly according to your site.
      For example anicca is translated as impermanence.
      Also I’m not sure if “uppadavaya-dhammino” should be translated as “arising and passing away”?

I find this chant very beautiful and would love to know its “Pure Dhamma” meaning :)

If you could find some time and correctly translate this, I would be grateful and hopefully it will be of benefit to many. (I want to use this chant on a meditation retreat in the future). I think it has great dhamma depth to it.

Lyrics and translation​:

Anicca vata sankhara, uppadavaya-dhammino
      Impermanence is the nature of all conditioned phenomenon. They arise and pass away, again and again, with great rapidity.

Uppajjitva nirujjhanti, (2x)
      tesam vupasamo sukho.
      When past sensations arise and are met with awareness/equanimity, their cessation brings true happiness.

Aneka-jati samsaram
      sandhavissam anibbisam,
      Through countless births in the cycle of existence
      I have run, in vain

Gahakarakam gavesanto
      dukkha-jati-punappunam.
      seeking the builder of this house; and again and again I faced the discomfort of new birth.

Gahakaraka! Dithosi,
      puna geham na kahasi.
      Oh housebuilder! Now you are seen.
      You shall not build a house again for me.

Sabba te phasuka bhagga,
      gahakutam visankhitam.
      All your beams are broken, the ridgepole is shattered.

Visankhara-gatam cittam,
      tanhanam khayamajjhaga.
      The mind has become freed from conditioning; the end of craving has been reached.

Sabbe sankhara anicca’ti.
      yada pannaya passati,
      Impermanent are all compounded things, when one perceives this with insight.

Atha nibbindati dukkhe.
      esa maggo visuddhiya.
      then one turns away from suffering; this is the path of purification.

Sabbesu cakkavajesu
      yakkha deva ca brahmano,
      May the holy entities of all the universes

Yam amhehi katam punnam,
      sabba sampatti sadhikam.
      rejoice in this wholesome meditation process performed by us, which is productive of all happiness.

Sabbe tam anumoditva,
      samagga sasane rata,
      May they all, unitedly devoted to the teaching

pamada rahita hontu
      arakkhasu visesato.
      be without negligence, especially in giving protection.

Punna bhagamidam c’annam,
      samam dadama karitam.
      We share with all equally the merit of this meditation and other wholesome deeds.

Anumodantu tam sabbe,
      medini thatu sakkhike.
      May they all accept with joy our sharing, and may the earth stand witness to it!

Bhavatu sabbe mangalam x3
      May all beings be happy

With Metta

Lal
      Keymaster

This is actually a collection of verses from several different sources.

The first verse is from the Mahā Parinibbāna Sutta (DN 16):
      “Aniccā vata sankhārā
      Uppāda vaya dhamminō
      Uuppajjitvā nirujjhanti
      Te san vūpa samō sukhō”

I have explained this verse to have a bit different meaning here: “Aniccā vata Sankhārā…“.

The next two verses are Dhammapada verses 153 and 154.

The three verses after that are Dhammapada verses 277 through 279. There was a discussion about “sabbe sankhara” at the forum: “Sabbe Sankhara“.

I will try to translate those in the future when I have time. I am not sure where the last few verses are from.

It is interesting to see the difference in the recital of the first verse by Goenka and Waharaka Thero (in my post).

Invo
      Participant

Thanks you very much for answer Lal. :)

It is interesting that a chant is combined with both sutta and dhammapada sections :) I think it is very nice connection. If affects me deeply, feeling more “technical” sutta stuff combined with poetic Dhammapada atmoshpere. It shows that actually meditation technique and precise understanding of and following the teachings are what help us to get to the “most beautiful” – Nibbana. Very much in the Buddha way of things :)

I’m still curious about the actual correct translation, but please do it only if you find happiness in it, it is not that importaint to take your precious time :)

With metta,
      Invo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.