A very detailed Book on Buddhist Cosmology.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      LayDhammaFollower
      Participant

Name of Book: THE BUDDHIST COSMOS: A Comprehensive Survey of the Early Buddhist Worldview; According to Theravāda and Sarvāstivāda sources.

AUTHOR: Punnadhammo Mahāthero

Link: Click here to open the pdf version of book in new window.

It is a 728-page-long book on Buddhist cosmology. Many minor and major details are compiled from various sources to portray a picture of the universe from the Buddhist perspective.

But, at an initial glance, it seems very interesting and worth reading. In some places, vishuddhimagga is used as a source. A lot of Tipitaka references have been provided throughout the book.

I am not sure about the accuracy of this book. Lal and others can comment or share reviews if they have studied this.

This is not the most important area to study. But, I am sharing this for those who are too curious about the universe.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Lal
      Keymaster

Thank you, LDF!

• It could be a helpful reference.
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

I read the pdf several years back. At that time, I must’ve had questions about and thoughts of learning more about Buddhist cosmology and came across the book. 

I can’t say I have studied or know alot about Theravada orthodox teachings on Buddhist cosmology, but depending on what’s meant by “the accuracy of the book”, I believe it would / should? fall in line mostly with Theravada orthodox teachings. Included in the title of the book, “according to Theravada and Sarvsativada sources”.

Based on my understanding at that time and currently, I can’t say how accurate all the things mentioned in the book are, but I believe it should be accurate enough that it can help one to get the general idea about the topic and the different subjects. I mostly read quickly through the book, but I do believe the book gathers Theravada teachings and sources on the subjects in one book.  

If one does read it, my advice is to use one’s discernment and decide on what to take in and discard or use or not use from the book. I believe the materials in the book can possibly be used to cross reference, compared, and additional information about the different realms and beings.

But in my opinion, the material’s in the book are not the most important area / dhamma teachings to focus on.  

One part of the book that did drew my interest or I was most interested in (focused) was the part about devolution of humans and the future of humanity, which is the agganna sutta. Puredhamma also has a post and materials on that sutta. 

By comparing and relating the two materials mentioned, as well Venerable Waharaka Thero subtitled English desana on anicca. The experiences benefited my learning of “anicca khayatthena”.  

ravi777
      Participant

Dear Lal,

This URL seems to show that Western cosmology is in crisis:-

The James Webb telescope: an eye onto a universe, infinite in time and space

Although I do not believe every opinion the above site gives, I think it has enough evidence to show that the Big Bang theory in Western cosmology is in crisis. This could be especially true since the Buddha said that a Beginning to Samsara could not be found.

Lal, I think with all your knowledge of cosmology, you could (time permitting) develop a new Cosmic theory based on Buddhist Cosmology. (To my knowledge, the Buddha did not go into exact details but rather gave an overview – I think – just enough for the listeners to achieve Nibbana.)

With Mettha,

Ravi.

Lal
      Keymaster

Hello Ravi,

Yes. We had the following discussion in the forum recently:

The Big Bang May Have Never Happened?

Also, you may not have seen the following post, which describes Buddha’s version:

Buddhism and Evolution – Aggañña Sutta (DN 27).”

ravi777
      Participant

Thanks Lal.

With Mettha,

Ravi.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.