Reply To: Indriya bhavana/good deeds/ayatana

upekkha100
Participant

Here are few quotes from various posts:

1) “Depending on the combinations of cetasika that arise with citta, there will be 89 (or 121) types contaminated citta (or viññāṇa) that can arise. This will become clear as we discuss further. ”

2) “Consciousness (viññāṇa) discussed in this section does NOT take account the fact that consciousness of any living being (other than an Arahant) is contaminated by defilements. This our awareness is not pure; it is like looking though a foggy window ”

3) ” However, the citta of a sentient being gets “contaminated” by other cetasika as soon as it arises. Within the lifetime of a citta (which is less than a billionth of a second), it progressively gets contaminated by “good” or “bad” cetasika, and this happens in nine stages.”

4) “As discussed in “Citta and Cetasika – How Viññāṇa (Consciousness) Arises”, it is those additional cetasika that provide “color” to a citta: if a set of “good cetasika” arise with the citta it becomes a
“good thought” or a “good viññāṇa”; if it is a set of “bad cetasika” , then the thought or the viññāṇa
is bad (those cetasika do not mix). ”

Vinnana is after the contamination of a set of citta correct?
There is dosa vinnana.
There is karuna vinnana.
Dosa vinnana has one of the 3 bad roots/causes.
Karuna vinnana has one of the 3 good roots/causes.
Both are contaminated.
Both happen beyond the manasan stage.

An Arahant’s citta does not go beyond the manasan stage.
So how can an Arahant still have the 3 good causes/roots.
How can an Arahant still have the sobhana cetasika at maximum levels?

Knowing the answer to the above, I’d like to make a case for a thought I had:
I think there are 2 sets of panna/karuna/metta/mudita/upekkha.

One set is a result of:
-temporarily suppressing lobha/dosa/moha and maximizing alobha/adosa/amoha.
-The kind a brahma would have(hence brahmavihara).
-Are the anariya version.
-Are cetasikas.
-Are contaminated.
-Are based in avijja.

The other set as a result of:
-permanently removing all 6 roots: lobha/dosa/moha and alobha/adosa/amoha.
-A result of a pure radiant “luminous” mind.
-Result of pabhassara citta.
-This panna/karuna/metta/mudita/upekkha is the default state of the mind before it gets contaminated with the 6 roots/6 defilements/6 san.
-Panna/karuna/metta/mudita/upekkha is the natural state of the uncontaminated mind.
-The Ariya version(especially that of an Arahant).
-Are not cetasikas.
-Are uncontaminated.
-Are not based in avijja.

1) Pabhassara citta= pure mind
2) Asobhana cetasika= pure mind now contaminated with 3 bad roots
3) Sobhana cetasika= pure mind now contaminated with 3 good roots

Using a similar example used at this site:
1) glass of pure water
2) Add mud to it and it will no longer be pure.
3) Add gems to it, the water will still no longer be in it’s original pure default/natural state.

The mud is dirty/ugly like asobhana cetasika(asobhana means not beautiful). If it enters a thought, the thought is no longer pure, it is ugly/unwholesome.

While the gems are good and “pretty/beautiful” like sobhana cetasika(sobhana means beautiful right?), if they enter a thought, this too is no longer pure. Beautiful yes, but not pure.

1) Pabhassara citta= Pure water. Original default/natural state.
2) Asobhana cetasika= mud
3) Sobhana cetasika= gems

Goodness/wholesomeness/morality is the default/natural state of the uncontaminated mind. It does not need the sobhana cetasika to be good. An anariya needs the sobhana cetasika to be good and to do good. An Arahant does not. This is why what was written before the revision made much more sense to me: “One actually strives to remove greed, hate, and ignorance, which are “san”. When this is done, other three causes are automatically removed. ”

I just need to back this up with something from the Tipitaka. The best I have is the
Pabhassara Sutta for now.

“Luminous, monks, is the mind.And it is defiled by incoming defilements.” 
Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is freed from incoming defilements.” 

Panna/metta/karuna/mudita/upekkha is the default “luminous” state of the uncontaminated mind. Goodness/morality is the default “luminous” state of the uncontaminated mind.