Subhāsitajaya Sutta (SN 11.5) – What is ‘Titikkhati’?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      silasampanno
      Participant

Hi all🙏

I have a question while reading Sutta.

The following is an excerpt from Subhāsitajayasutta(SN11.5)

Evaṁ vutte, bhikkhave, sakko devānamindo imā gāthāyo abhāsi:

‘Kāmaṁ maññatu vā mā vā, bhayā myāyaṁ titikkhati; Sadatthaparamā atthā, khantyā bhiyyo na vijjati.

Yo have balavā santo, dubbalassa titikkhati; Tamāhu paramaṁ khantiṁ, niccaṁ khamati dubbalo. Abalaṁ taṁ balaṁ āhu, yassa bālabalaṁ balaṁ; Balassa dhammaguttassa, paṭivattā na vijjati.”

The above phrase is translated into Sutta Central as follows.

So Sakka recited this verse:

Let him think this if he wishes, or not—He puts up with me out of fear. 
      Of goals culminating in one’s own good, none better than patience is found.

When a strong person puts up with a weakling, they call that the ultimate patience, for a weakling must always be patient.

The strength of folly is really just weakness, they say. But no-one can challenge a person who’s strong, guarded by the teaching.”

In Sutta Central, Titikkhati translatests Patience. To me, this translation is not helpful. Could you please let me know the above phrases and the meaning of Titikkhati?

With metta _()_

Lal
      Keymaster

Titikkhati does mean something like “patience” or “endure a hardship.”

If a weak person harasses a strong person, the strong person can stop the weak person by using his power.

• However, in some cases, a strong person may endure that harassment to avoid a possible bad outcome for both.
      • Yet no one can challenge a strong person, guarded by the teaching.”
      silasampanno
      Participant

Thank you for your response.

If so, is patience(titikkhati) here related to impulses? For example, like enduring a moment of instant anger.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. Patience and enduring hardships are critically important not only in anger but also when facing inevitable difficult situations.

• The “Sabbāsava Sutta (MN 2)” explains several ways to do that.
      • Sections 2 and 4 are especially important in the above link in this regard.

silasampanno
      Participant

Thanks Lal. I’ll read that Sutta you recommend carefully. 
      Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.