vottapana

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      sybe07
      Spectator

In the proces of processing a sense-input there is a decision making moment. This is refered to as the vottapana citta moment in a citta vitthi. A decision is made on how to react on a certain processed sense-input. It is said this is based on ones gathi.

I want to highlight another aspect wich i think is relevant.

I think the decision-making proces is very much dependend also on our overall state of mind. The tuning of body and mind.
      This is at least how i experience it. Mind shows to make other decisions on a certain sense-object when tired, tense, depressed, hungry, burned-out, well fed, relaxed, etc.

It is amazing how mind can make all kinds of different decision when in a different state of mind on similar sense-inputs. One day the noise of a slamming door does not scare you and at another moment you can feel how anxiety is choosen and there is an reaction of terror at the slamming of the door.

Mind is not only very quick but in its decision making also very flexible or diversified at similar sense-inputs, and that in the same person.

See how mind decides differently after nights of bad sleep. When you are tired, stressed, hungry, depressed, burned-out or the opposite, relaxed, well fed, joyfull etc.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. The state of mind at that moment affects the decision made at the vottapana citta:
      State of Mind in the Absence of Citta Vithi – Bhavanga

sybe07
      Spectator

Is there also a vottapana citta moment in a manodvara citta vitthi?

Siebe

Lal
      Keymaster

Good question.

In a manodvara citta vithi, the vottapana citta is the same as the manodvara citta labelled MD, just before the set of javana citta:

Citta Vithi – Processing of Sense Inputs

sybe07
      Spectator

Thanks, it’s clear to me.
      Siebe

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.