Venerable Arahant Maha Kotthita

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Gad.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Gad
      Participant

ARAHANT MAHĀ KOTTHITA: FOREMOST IN ANALYTICAL KNOWLEDGE

Arahant Mahā Kotthita became an expert in analytical knowledge (patisambhidā). In the Buddhist teaching, there are four kinds of analytical knowledge.

1. Analytical knowledge of the true meaning (attha-patisambhidā)

2. Analytical knowledge of the Dhamma (dhamma-patisambhidā)

3. Analytical knowledge of language (nirutti-patisambhidā)

4. Analytical knowledge of ready-wit (patibhāna-patisambhidā)

The Buddha had recognized his expertise in analytical knowledge and a congregation of monks, was named as the foremost monk who had attained the methods of analytical knowledge.

“Monks, the foremost of my monk disciples who have attained the methods of analytical knowledge is Mahākoṭṭhita.” (1)

In the book of Apadāna or Legends of Buddhist saints, one of the fifteen books of the Khuddaka Nikāya (collection of the Buddha’s minor discourses), Arahant Mahā Kotthita has referred to him being declared as the foremost in analytical knowledge as follows:

“Because my thought was developed,

in meaning and Teaching,

etymology and preaching,

the World-chief placed me in that place.” 

• In this sasana, after Lord Buddha, Venerable Maha Kotthita is the best in the 4 analytical knowledge. Could Sir Lal or someone please explain each of these four patisambhidā in detail? Another thing that shocked me is that not all arahants have the 4 knowledge!! Why is this so? I had heard that the arahants who possess them developed great mastery of the Tipitaka texts in their past lives and past Sasanas. Is this statement correct? It can be seen that Venerable Maha Kotthita was an expert in the Vedas before becoming a bhikkhu. I believe the Visuddhimagga describes this. However, it is a controversial book. If someone can explain the four knowledge in detail that would be great!
      SengKiat
      Keymaster

The Four Kinds of Analytical Knowledge (Paṭisambhidā-ñāṇa) is described in the book, The Great Chronicle of Buddhas, by Ven. Mingun Sayadaw.

The Four Kinds of Analytical Knowledge (Patisambhida-nana) contained within the book called the Great Chronicle of Buddhas (maha-buddha-vamsa), a large compilation of stories revolving around the Buddhas and Buddhist disciples. This page is part of the series known as the Dhamma Ratanā. This great chronicle of Buddhas was compiled by Ven. Mingun Sayadaw who had a thorough understanding of the thousands and thousands of Buddhist teachings (suttas).

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Lal
      Keymaster

1. Paṭisambhidā comes from “paṭi” + “san” + “bhidā.” Here, “bhidā” (or “bhi”) indicates “to dissect into parts.” 

• Thus, it means “the knowledge (or the ability to explain in detail) of how “san” (raga, dosa, moha) binds a mind to the sansaric process or “the world of 31 realms.” 

2. Paṭisambhidā Ñāna is a special status attained by very few Arahants.  It encompasses four components:

(i) attha paṭisambhidā ñāṇa, (ii) dhamma paṭisambhidā ñāṇa, (iii) nirutti paṭisambhidā ñāṇa, (iv) paṭibhāna paṭisambhidā ñāṇa

I have not read Seng Kiat’s reference. It is also described in “Paṭisambhidāmagga” (a Tipitaka Commentary): “Paṭisambhidāñāṇa niddesa.”

• Those four ñāṇa are developed in that order. When one has some idea about what is for one’s benefit or “atta/attha” (Nibbana) and what is unfruitful or “anatta/anattha“, one would have a bit of attha paṭisambhidā ñāṇa.
      • When one starts comprehending dhamma/adhamma and also Paticca Samuppada, one starts cultivating dhamma paṭisambhidā ñāṇa.
      • When one can start seeing the meanings of crucial Pali words (pada nirutti), one starts developing nirutti paṭisambhidā ñāṇa.
      • If one can explain in detail the meanings of such words and related concepts, one would have paṭibhāna paṭisambhidā ñāṇa’

3. Therefore, all Ariyas have the first two to some extent. Only a Buddha would have all four perfect. Arahant Mahā Kotthita was only second to the Buddha in that aspect.

4. Someone with that ñāṇa has a complete understanding of (i) what is attha/anattha: “Attha Sutta (AN 10.181),” (ii) what are dhamma/adhamma: “Dhamma Sutta (AN 10. 138)“, (iii) pada nirutti (how meanings of keywords come about, and (iv) can fully explain concepts in detail with examples, analogies, etc.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Gad
      Participant

Thank you Sir Sengkiat and Sir Lal !! 🙏🏿

Gad
      Participant
      • To add another detail, an anagami can also attain these. The story of the secular anagami Matikamata is an example. She developed patisambhidā!A tamed mind brings happiness

Mātikamātā also developed an interest in meditation and requested the monks to teach her how to meditate. The monks taught her to meditate on the thirty-two loathsome parts of the body, which can help one gain insight into the fruitless nature of the body. Mātikamātā began meditating diligently and was able to attain the first three paths and fruitions of the Buddhist spiritual path of liberation. She also developed Analytical Insight (patisambhidā) along with mundane supernormal powers even before the sixty monks did.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.