Uddacca-kukkucca explanation please

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ramsden
      Participant

Hello everyone, my first post here (and sorry, I am at the beginning of this journey).
      In the part „Key to Calming the Mind – The Five Hindrances“ this is the description of Uddacca-kukkucca:
      10. Uddacca-kukkucca (customarily translated as restlessness and brooding), arise because of high-mindedness (uddacca) and low-mindedness (kukkucca); in most cases, because of the high-mindedness, one tends to DO lowly things.
      • When one has uddacca, one is “drunk” with power, money, etc. When one has kukkucca, one is willing to do “lowly things” suitable even for an animal. These are TWO mental factors (cetasika).

I did some googling and what I can understand is this:
      Uddacca (restlessness) is caused by the fault-finding state of mind which cannot be satisfied with things as they are, and so has to move on to the promise of something better..
      By my words it could be – ongoing unsattisfaction, the mind is thrilled in false hope to find longer lasting satisfaction by getting always something new (to enjoy for a little while), or better (to upgrade some existing things), or cumulate more (collections, money, carrier..), or explore more (holidays, activities..) etc.

The Kukkucca (brooding) is much less clear to me – it might be as according to Cambridge dictionary „Making you feel uncomfortable or worried, as if something bad is going to happen“
      By my words it could be – an aftermath of our past bad actions based on Uddacca, when one was lost, using inproper means to reach his goal to get the things he desired at that time, then in deep realised it was bad, thus he is always worried, what to expect as a consequence, his mind is disturbed.

But it might be something else at all, I am not getting this part much, Brooding, also High and Low Mindedness, and what they are.
      Thank you.

Lal
      Keymaster

Hello Ramsden!

Yes. Ther are many interpretations of Pali words. Each person needs to decide which ones make sense. I have explained as I (and Waharaka Thero) have understood them.

The only other thing I can say is the following.
      Uddacca-kukkucca is one of five hindrances (panca nivarana) that COVERS the mind and hinders the mind from understanding deeper Dhamma.
      – That “covering of the mind” is mainly due to the three immoral roots, lobha, dosa, moha.

All five of the five hindrances have roots in lobha, dosa, and moha in varying degrees and combinations.

P.S. Uddacca and kukkucca are TWO different mental factors (cetasika). Those are different from uddacca-kukkucca, one of the panca nivarana. It is specifically due to uddacca LEADING to kukkucca.
      – Kukkucca is removed (together with the uddacca-kukkucca nivarana) at the Sotapanna stage.
      – A reduced form of uddacca (a sense of self-importance) remains even after the Anagami stage and is removed only at the Arahant stage.

ramsden
      Participant

Hi Lal, thank you very much for the reply.
      Need to read more to get to know some relations/links and terms :)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.