Tagged: sotapanna, thina middha
- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 6 months ago by Lal.
August 20, 2021 at 8:04 am #35369DanielStParticipant
You write in the article related to the 5 Hindrances, that:
“The hindrances of thina middha and vicikicchā go away at the Sōtapanna stage.”
I have two questions:
1) I have seen this claim that Thina middha goes away at Sotapanna only from you so far. Do you have a source or some more information on it?
2) Even a Sotapanna must have some laziness or drowsiness, right? So, Thina middha must be more than laziness, if it disappears at the Sotapanna stage. Is “laziness” (seeking a certain comfort, physical inertia) included in Kamacchanda?
August 20, 2021 at 8:04 pm #35374LalKeymaster
First, PLEASE provide a link to the post that you refer to. I believe the following is the post that you refer to:
“Key to Calming the Mind – The Five Hindrances”
“1) I have seen this claim that Thina middha goes away at Sotapanna only from you so far. Do you have a source or some more information on it?”
You have not seen it discussed like that because most people do not know enough Dhamma to realize that. There may not be a Tipitaka reference for each and every issue. There are some things we can deduce based on other related evidence.
“2) Even a Sotapanna must have some laziness or drowsiness, right?”
– Your question is based on the assumption that thina middha means laziness/drowsiness. That is not so. Please read #9 in the post in question.
I will try to expand on the above post to provide more info, probably after I finish the next planned post.
August 25, 2021 at 9:09 am #35423LalKeymaster
After thinking about it, I think it may be a good idea to have a separate post on five hindrances within the new series of posts on “Basic Framework of Buddha Dhamma”
But the main point is that “thina middha” is a hindrance.
– On the other hand, thina and middha are TWO SEPARATE cetasika (mental factors).
– When they appear TOGETHER, that is a hindrance to comprehending Dhamma.
The same is true for uddhacca kukkucca.
I have revised the post, “Key to Calming the Mind – The Five Hindrances” but will provide more details in upcoming posts.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.