Thina middha and Sotapanna

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DanielSt
      Participant

Dear Lal,
      You write in the article related to the 5 Hindrances, that:
      “The hindrances of thina middha and vicikicchā go away at the Sōtapanna stage.”

I have two questions:
      1) I have seen this claim that Thina middha goes away at Sotapanna only from you so far. Do you have a source or some more information on it?
      2) Even a Sotapanna must have some laziness or drowsiness, right? So, Thina middha must be more than laziness, if it disappears at the Sotapanna stage. Is “laziness” (seeking a certain comfort, physical inertia) included in Kamacchanda?

Lal
      Keymaster

First, PLEASE provide a link to the post that you refer to. I believe the following is the post that you refer to:
      Key to Calming the Mind – The Five Hindrances

“1) I have seen this claim that Thina middha goes away at Sotapanna only from you so far. Do you have a source or some more information on it?”

You have not seen it discussed like that because most people do not know enough Dhamma to realize that. There may not be a Tipitaka reference for each and every issue. There are some things we can deduce based on other related evidence.

“2) Even a Sotapanna must have some laziness or drowsiness, right?”
      – Your question is based on the assumption that thina middha means laziness/drowsiness. That is not so. Please read #9 in the post in question.

I will try to expand on the above post to provide more info, probably after I finish the next planned post.

Lal
      Keymaster

After thinking about it, I think it may be a good idea to have a separate post on five hindrances within the new series of posts on “Basic Framework of Buddha Dhamma

But the main point is that “thina middha” is a hindrance.
      – On the other hand, thina and middha are TWO SEPARATE cetasika (mental factors).
      – When they appear TOGETHER, that is a hindrance to comprehending Dhamma.

The same is true for uddhacca kukkucca.

I have revised the post, “Key to Calming the Mind – The Five Hindrances” but will provide more details in upcoming posts.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.