The Second Law of Thermodynamics

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

We know that Timemachine can not exist. The arrow of time shows the direction of the flow of time. Because of the irreversibility of nature, we can not go back to the past, only go to the future. Extending the concept of entropy to the limit leads to the conclusion of heat death. Heat death means the cosmic scale thermodynamic equilibrium. It means that the movement of heat is unable. At this moment, we can not observe any transition of heat. It means we can not define the arrow of time! Therefore heat death means the halt of time.

So the heat death hypothesis conflicts with the samsara. In the samsara worldview, the universe is beginningless and endless. There are two contradictions. First, if heat death is, it must have already happened. Because there is no traceable beginning in samsara. Second, if samsara is true, heat death can not occur in the future. Because the end of time is impossible.

I think this discrepancy arises because modern science does not set a hypothesis from the fact that the mind is ahead of the material. So the observation of time based on information about a matter may become useless in the future, but it does not mean the halt of time.

I contemplate this problem because I wonder what Dhamma explains about how we can know that time flows in one direction, from the past to the future. At least from what I have learned so far, the criterion will probably be whether the experience exists in Namagotta. But I’d like to hear some explanation better than this.

Lal
      Keymaster

There is a discrepancy ONLY IF one assumes what you mentioned about “heat death” is correct.

We cannot try to reconcile Buddha Dhamma with concepts in science, which are ONLY theories.
      – Of course, not all scientific theories are wrong.

dosakkhayo
      Participant

Exactly. That is what I wanted to say in this sentence. “I think this discrepancy arises because modern science does not set a hypothesis from the fact that the mind is ahead of the material.”

I’d like to hear “what Dhamma explains about how we can know that time flows in one direction, from the past to the future.” This question has not been solved yet.

Lal
      Keymaster

“I’d like to hear “what Dhamma explains about how we can know that time flows in one direction, from the past to the future.” This question has not been solved yet.”

Well. There are so many “unanswered questions.”
      – If we spend our time solving “unanswered questions,” we will not have time to stop future suffering.

It is informative to read the “Cūḷamālukya Sutta (MN 63).”
      – The Buddha clearly stated that spending time on such issues is a waste of time.
      – What benefit is to learning about those issues?

P.S. Such issues are not discussed in Abhidhamma if that is what you need to know.

dosakkhayo
      Participant

It was very helpful. Thank you for your reply. Now I finally solved all doubtful points about puredhamma. I have received reasonable answers to all the questions I could ask. I truly believe that puredhamma is the teachings of Buddha.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.