The Eight Worldly Conditions

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Lal.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Lal
      Keymaster

The following link is from “Shakyamuni’s son” :

The Eight Worldly Conditions

• Thank you for the link. It describes a subject related to the “anicca nature” of the world, but I have not had time to discuss it.

It describes eight types of “features” that all humans experience: Gain and loss, fame and disgrace, blame and praise, pleasure and pain.

• Even though we may experience the four “good aspects” of gain, fame, praise, and pleasure at times, the opposites are more frequent and cannot be avoided. That is the “anicca nature” of the world.
      • A series of over four suttas, starting with the “Paṭhamalokadhamma Sutta (AN 8.5)” discuss the above subject.
      • You can read the other suttas by using the link at the bottom of that page.
      Jorg
      Participant

I have scrolled through the article and I noticed that it has the conventional translations of anicca, dukkha, and anatta (impermanent, unsatisfactory, and not-self)

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. That holds in most cases.  Most mainstream Theravada texts have those incorrect translations. In all Sutta Central translations I link to, such incorrect interpretations exist. One must disregard those. It is almost impossible to refer to any English text without such errors.

• Also note that the full title of the above article is “The Eight Worldly Conditions: Ashta Loka Dhamma.” There “Ashta” is the Sanskrit word for “eight,” whereas the Pali word is “aṭṭha.”
      • That article is by a Sri Lankan. Such “Sanskrtizied” words are also quite common in even Sri Lankan Theravada. Such was the influence of Mahayana during its peak, as I described in “Counterfeit Buddhism – Current Mainstream Buddhism.”
      Gad
      Participant

Hello is me Gad who have send this to Lal by email (Shakyamuni’s son) and many article of Drarisworld. Sorry i know this site have many wrong significations but just like Lal said the Theravada have many wrong interpretations. However I found this site interesting because they have the name of the sutta for each article. We can find this sutta and read with the good interpretation. I hope that will help some people 🙏🏿

Lal
      Keymaster

Thank you, Gad. 

• Yes. We should be able to extract useful information from any available resources. 
      • The links from you that I posted do have helpful information. But one must use them with caution. As I mentioned many times, MOST current Theravada texts (especially in English) must be “handled with care.” Most invariably translate “anicca” as “impermanence,” “anatta” as “no-self,” etc. See “Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta
      • I just got back and will look at the links you recently emailed me.
      Lal
      Keymaster

The following link (sent by Gad; thank you!) is also related to the above discussion:

The Body May Appear Beautiful but Is Still Subject to Decay and Death

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.