Simple observation about gandhabba

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      alvino96
      Participant

Hey everyone and Lal,
      I just want to share my observation after sometimes, please correct me if I misinterpret something or my conclusion is not logical enough.
      I know some people (and Bhikkhus) that have the ability to see some beings from other realm. The non-bhikkhus usually tell that when a person dies their ‘soul’ comes out (soul in conventional, non Buddhist-sense). Whereas Theravada Bhikkhus when asked by lay person where is their friends/relatives are born, they always say the deceased are born as hungry ghost (peta).

I just realized the connection between this. The non Bhkikkhus (with ability) thinks it’s their soul coming out and may will be entering a womb as another person (similar to Hinduism); the Theravada Bhikkhus with abhinna powers thinks they are born hungry ghost, simply because Theravada schools do not accept the concept of souls, or even gandhabba.

My suspicion arises because so many people are reborn in peta according to some Bhikkus, including some decent person.

If we take the information from this site (esp. posts about ghandhabba), we know that:
      1. It is really rare to be born in human bhava;
      2. A human bhava can lasts many jatis (with ghandhabba in between);

My conclusion is, abhinna powers alone can’t help people comprehend deep Dhamma without the correct version, the powers should be an accelerating tool in understanding Dhamma, IF one’s abhinna is strong enough to see through multiple lifetimes including rebirths in other realms. Otherwise, it will confuse someone, especiallya combined with contradictory version of Dhamma.

Christian
      Participant

“My conclusion is, abhinna powers alone can’t help people comprehend deep Dhamma without the correct version, the powers should be an accelerating tool in understanding Dhamma”

Yes, that why hindu yogis even with abhinna powers they created a lot of wrong views on what they see thru abhinna and created many ideas. It’s like spinning wheel illusion, if you base your views on what you see you are bound to be wrong because deeper reality of things may be different.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. It is dangerous to try to explain Dhamma without a correct understanding. Many Theravada bhikkhus refuse to accept the gandhabba concept (despite strong evidence from the Tipitaka) and thus may be doing harm to themselves and others.

Gandhabba State – Evidence from Tipiṭaka

cubibobi
      Participant

Hi,

I often see a non-committal attitude toward gandhabbas among Buddhists who do believe in rebirth. It goes something like this: “I believe in kamma and rebirth, and to me it doesn’t matter how it happens — with or without gandhabbas”. And such a person most often takes no further interest in the subject of gandhabbas.

Is this attitude also miccha ditthi #6 among the 10 types of miccha ditthi?

Thank you,
      Lang

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes, Lang. It is a miccha ditthi.

That is explained in, “Micchā Diṭṭhi, Gandhabba, and Sōtapanna Stage.”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.