Reliable sources

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Flower
      Participant

Hello

I didn’t put this in the Abidhamma section because it doesnt disccus the concepts of Abidhamma. I ‘ve got difficulty finding what is reliable or not. Is Abidhamma different from commentaries? I saw on Wikipedia that there were Abhidhamma commentaries + the canonical Abhidhamma. Is Abidhamma reliable? You said in https://puredhamma.net/historical-background/tipitaka-commentaries-helpful-or-misleading/ that there are three original commentaries, Patisambhidamagga, Petakopadesa, and Nettippakarana. What about Milindapanha , since it is in the Khuddaka Nikaya too?

Thanks in advance

Lal
      Keymaster

“Is Abidhamma different from commentaries? ”

Yes. Abhidhamma is different from the Commentaries.
      – Tipitaka means “three baskets”: Sutta Pitaka, Vinaya Pitaka, and Abhidhamma Pitaka.

Yes. Patisambhidamagga, Petakopadesa, and Nettippakarana are the 3 original commentaries.

“What about Milindapanha , since it is in the Khuddaka Nikaya too?”
      – Milindapanha is not a Commentary. It has recorded conversations between an Arahant (Nagesena) and a Greek King (Milinda) who controlled a part of India at that time (a descendant of Alexander the Great). He was a Buddhist and asked a good set of questions.

More historical information at:
      Historical Background

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.