Question about Dhaham Guna

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      namo0804
      Participant

Teruwan Saranai.

I have heard Waharaka Thero’s Tisarana Vandana chanting since last year.

I have had a question while listening to it.

It’s a Dhaham Guna part.

I had a strong impression that Thero read certain verses in a set.

Like this :

(Svakkatho, Bhagavathā dhammo)

(sanditthiko, akaliko)

(ehipassiko, opanayiko)

(paccattam vedittabbo vinnuhi ti)

I heard that Thero had Patisambhidhā Ñāna. So I thought there must be a reason why Thero read this way.

After much consideration, I guessed it would be related to anapanasati/satipattana bhavana’s process like below.

I referred to Lal’s article (https://puredhamma.net/buddhist-chanting/supreme-qualities-of-buddha-dhamma-sangha/) for the meaning of the term.

Set 1.

Hetu – Svakkatho, Bhagavathā dhammo : leads to the removal of sansaric suffering via getting out of the 31 realms.

Phala – paccattam vedittabbo vinnuhi : “paccayā” can be understood by looking at the origins (veda or vedic)

Set 2.

Hetu – sanditthiko : It allows one to comprehend “san” (“san” + “diṭṭhi“)

Phala – akaliko : It’s Another meaning is that it leads to the removal of darkness.

Set 3.

Hetu – ehipassiko : defilements can be removed (“passika“) when each ärammana comes to the mind (“Ehi“).

Phala – opanayiko : one can comprehend how each existence (bhava and jati) arises.

In this way, phrases are connected to cause and effect

I thought it explains the process of eliminating anapanasati/satipattana bhavana.

Are these guesses valid?

Dhaham-Guna_question_chart

Lal
      Keymaster

It is good to contemplate things like this.

However, these are all “characteristics” (or “qualities” or “guna“) of Buddha Dhamma, not hetu/phala.

• Hetu and phala are described in Paticca Samuppada.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      namo0804
      Participant
      • Hetu and phala are described in Paticca Samuppada.

Thank you for reminding that Ven Lal 🙏.

Good Buddhaparisada,

it’s hard to find any teaching within the many, which does not ‘simply’ describe either lokuttara paṭiccasamuppādo or the common, Dukkha and the cessation of it.

Only a view words, if proper attention, may lead to paths and fruits, so much mudita if a glimpse arose on ‘just that’, yet the try to nail it down, make something out- from- into it, might hinder suddenly.

Dhamma requires not only to see ‘the’ Buddha, but also to reach the heirs domain.

(Samana Johann)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.