Tagged: niramisa sukha
- This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by cubibobi.
April 27, 2022 at 5:15 am #37310
In one of my previous posts you stated:
“My niramisa sukha has built up over the years.”
So my question to you is:
How many times did you notice the increasing of niramisa sukha?
April 27, 2022 at 6:58 am #37314
Nirāmisa sukha is a “general sense of well-being” and NOT a particular vedanā (like when eating a tasty meal).
It comes gradually as the mind is cleansed of lobha, dosa, moha.
There is the following sutta where a former king/aristocrat who became a bhikkhu expressed it as “Oh, what bliss! Oh, what bliss!”
– The other bhikkhus thought he was thinking about the enjoyments that he had given up. But he explained that it was exactly the opposite.
“Bhaddiya Sutta (Ud 2.1)”
– We don’t realize the burden that we carry when we are enamored with worldly possessions.
– When you start seeing the “anicca nature” of those possessions, you gain nirāmisa sukha.
– It just happens over time.
April 27, 2022 at 9:25 am #37319
Do you feel the same level of niramisa sukha or it increased over time?
April 27, 2022 at 9:37 am #37320
As I wrote above, it increases with time as one’s understanding improves.
April 27, 2022 at 9:40 am #37321
Yes I understand that, but did you personally feel an increase of niramisa sukha or it just stayed at the same level?
April 27, 2022 at 10:07 am #37324
Do things happen without causes?
– If there is no progress in understanding, it will not improve.
P.S. Unless one becomes at least a Sotapanna Anugami, any progress CAN even reverse. If we die before that, we don’t know where we will be born next. Even if it is in the human realm, one could be born into a “wrong family”.
April 27, 2022 at 12:29 pm #37326cubibobiParticipant
niramisa sukha is a sense of well-being, and not a feeling (vedana) as Lal explained.
Yet it is possible to feel (not sure if this is the right word) that it is getting more stable. On the other hand, it’s also possible to see it getting weaker.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.