Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Zapper
      Participant

Hello Lal.
      In one of my previous posts you stated:
      “My niramisa sukha has built up over the years.”
      So my question to you is:
      How many times did you notice the increasing of niramisa sukha?

Lal
      Keymaster

Helo Zapper,

Nirāmisa sukha is a “general sense of well-being” and NOT a particular vedanā (like when eating a tasty meal).

It comes gradually as the mind is cleansed of lobha, dosa, moha.

There is the following sutta where a former king/aristocrat who became a bhikkhu expressed it as “Oh, what bliss! Oh, what bliss!”
      – The other bhikkhus thought he was thinking about the enjoyments that he had given up. But he explained that it was exactly the opposite.
      Bhaddiya Sutta (Ud 2.1)

– We don’t realize the burden that we carry when we are enamored with worldly possessions.
      – When you start seeing the “anicca nature” of those possessions, you gain nirāmisa sukha.
      – It just happens over time.

Zapper
      Participant

Do you feel the same level of niramisa sukha or it increased over time?

Lal
      Keymaster

As I wrote above, it increases with time as one’s understanding improves.

Zapper
      Participant

Yes I understand that, but did you personally feel an increase of niramisa sukha or it just stayed at the same level?

Lal
      Keymaster

Do things happen without causes?
      – If there is no progress in understanding, it will not improve.

P.S. Unless one becomes at least a Sotapanna Anugami, any progress CAN even reverse. If we die before that, we don’t know where we will be born next. Even if it is in the human realm, one could be born into a “wrong family”.

cubibobi
      Participant

niramisa sukha is a sense of well-being, and not a feeling (vedana) as Lal explained.

Yet it is possible to feel (not sure if this is the right word) that it is getting more stable. On the other hand, it’s also possible to see it getting weaker.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.