Post on Sōtapanna Anugāmi – No More Births in the Apāyās

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tobias G
      Participant

See # 9:
      “… (1) He has avecca pasāda in the Buddha, i.e., he fully understands the following verse. “‘itipi so bhagavā arahaṃ sammāsambuddho vij­jācara­ṇa­sam­panno sugato lokavidū anuttaro purisa­damma­sāra­thi satthā devamanussānaṃ buddho bhagavā’ti.”

(2) He has avecca pasāda in the Dhamma, i.e., he fully understands the following verse. “Svākkhāto bhagavatā dhammo sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko opaneyyiko paccattaṃ veditabbo viññūhī’ti.“

(3) He has avecca pasāda in the Saṅgha, i.e., he fully understands the following verse. “Suppaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho, ujuppaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho, ñāyappaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho, sāmīcip­paṭi­panno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho, yadidaṃ—cattāri purisayugāni aṭṭha purisapuggalā, esa bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho āhuneyyo pāhuneyyo dakkhiṇeyyo añjalikaraṇīyo anuttaraṃ puññakkhettaṃ lokassā’ti. …”

It is said a sotapanna fully understands the qualities of Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha. But these qualities cannot be understood to full extent.
      It seems to be a contradiction.

Lal
      Keymaster

Good Point, Tobias.

I just revised the post to remove the “fully” prefix.

A Sotapanna understands those qualities to the point that he/she would have avecca pasāda in the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.
      – Such a person would SEE (passati) that there is no other refuge than the refuge of Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha.
      – But there is much more to REALIZE BY EXPERIENCE (i.e. to attain the paccavekkhana-ñana). That is reached at the Arahant stage.

Tobias G
      Participant

What means paccavekkhana-ñana?

Tobias G
      Participant

By the way: I do not get an email notification when you posted something.

Lal
      Keymaster

Tobias asked: “What means paccavekkhana-ñana?”

That means to VERIFY by oneself.

Seeing the truth of something is the first step. That gets rid of the wrong views and one SEES the real nature of the world.

But verifying the truth of that by EXPERIENCE needs more work, more contemplation.

For example, a Sotapnna can SEE the bad consequences of engaging in sensual pleasures.
      – However, the tendency to like sensual pleasures is still there. That goes away in two more steps of Sakadagami and Anagami stages.

In other words, a Sotapanna has removed ditthi vipallasa, but still has sanna vipallasa.
      Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Sankhāra

Also see, “How to Remove Sanna and Citta Vipallasa About Dukkha and Asubha

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.