Post on “Pāli Words – Writing and Pronunciation”

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lal
      Keymaster

I am in the process of updating/revising the following post:

Pāli Words – Writing and Pronunciation

• I want to be more confident in the information in #2 of the post.
      • Please post comments/suggestions on the dates given for transliterating the Tipitaka in various scripts. If you have information about translations into various languages, please post it, too.
      • Of course, any other suggestions, including possible revisions, are welcome. 

P.S. I called the adopted convention “Tipitaka English” because it was more than a transliteration; it adopted a set of conventions to represent specific sounds for shortening the transliterated words. I wonder whether transliteration (of the Tipitaka or any other prominent literature) into other languages adopted similar conventions.

For example, transliterating “namaste” to English (Latin alphabet) does not require any adopted convention.

• Original: “नमस्ते” (Namaste) (I don’t speak Hindi; I got it from the internet).
      • Transliteration: “Namaste”
      • This is a popular example of transliterating a Hindi greeting into the Latin alphabet.

Similarly, even Pali words like “mano” or “Abhidhamma” do not require any adopted convention, unlike in the case of “citta” discussed in #4 of the post “Pāli Words – Writing and Pronunciation.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

I just posted the rewritten version: “Pāli Words – Writing and Pronunciation

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.