post on How to Attain Samadhi via “Vipassana Pubbanga Samatha” Bhavana

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Tobias G
      Participant

Is there a Tipitaka reference for the statement “vipassana pubbanga samatha”?

Lal
      Keymaster

I will take a look for a reference for “vipassana pubbanga samatha” later. If anyone else has references, please post them.

However, the following facts are important:

1. One cannot attain magga phala without vipassana
      2. “Samatha only” can only lead to anariya jhana. That is what ancient yogis like Alara Kalama and Uddaka Ramaputta did. You get to be born in a Brahma realm but always come back and start over.
      3. The cultivation of the path can be via “vipassana pubbanga samatha”, “samatha pubbanga vipassana”, or “samatha yuganandha vipassana.” Here, “pubbanga” means “first” and “yuganandha” means “together.” Any of the three can be used.
      4. Satipatthana belongs to the “samatha yuganandha vipassana” category, i.e., both samatha and vipassana grow together; see, for example, “Mahāsaḷāyatanika Sutta (MN 149)“.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      silasampanno
      Participant

Hello. I’m a 23-year-old Korean. I’m glad to join in the forum. I’ve studied the Pure Dhamma Korean website since 2021. I hope to learn more in this forum. 

I am deeply indebted to Ven. Lal for all your help to learn Dhamma

I came across this post while searching for Samatha. It is hard to find on the Pure Dhamma website. The post does not appear in the bhavana section. I wonder if you canceled it on purpose. I think the post contains very good content. It explains clearly vipassana bhavana enough to follow easily for beginners. If there is no big problem with the post, please add it to the appropriate section to make it easier for others to find it.

Also, I found a reference about this topic in AN 4.170 and Ne 4 : Desanāhāravibhaṅga

With metta _()_

Gad
      Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. I need to pay more attention to the Bhavana (Meditation) section.

• I have not written a post there for at least a few years.
      • I will look into it once I finish the new post I am working on.
      silasampanno
      Participant

Thank you for your reply.

I’m also glad that you’re paying more attention to the Bhavana section. 

And, I have a question.

Ne 10 : Āvaṭṭahāravibhaṅga 6.1

Tassa sampaṭivedhena rakkhaṇā paṭisaṁharaṇā, ayaṁ samatho.

When I looked it up, rakkhaṇā is protection or observance.

So, What is meant by sampaṭivedhena and paṭisaṁharaṇā ?

With metta _()_

Lal
      Keymaster

1. The verse you quoted is: “Tassa sampaṭivedhena rakkhaṇā paṭisaṁharaṇā, ayaṁ samatho.” 

• Here, “samatha” is calming the mind.
      • The other aspect of meditation is “vipassanā” or “developing insight/wisdom.”

2. Without vipassanā (i.e., without understanding Dhamma concepts,) one CAN NOT attain magga phala.

• However, one needs a calm mind to cultivate vipassanā.

3. To calm the mind, one needs to keep the mind away from attractive sensory inputs. 

• If the mind attaches to an attractive sensory input, it moves away from “samatha.” That attachment is taṇhā.
      • @marker 5.10 (above the verse you quoted,) there is another verse, “Tattha taṇhā dve upādānāni kāmupādānañca..”
      • When the mind is tempted with kāma rāga (with kāmupādāna orkāma upādāna), it will not get to “samatha.

4. Therefore, one must use “sense control,” i.e., not indulge in sensory pleasures. 

• That is essentially the meaning of “Tassa sampaṭivedhena rakkhaṇā paṭisaṁharaṇā, ayaṁ samatho.” 
      • One can get to “samatha” by keeping the mind away from attractive sensory inputs.
      • The popular method used by non-Buddhists is “breath meditation.” If you keep the mind on the breath, it cannot be attached to any other sensory input. 
      • However, that will not help with vipassanā at all. Thus, one must do both. The best is to keep the mind focused on a Dhamma concept, i.e., vipassanā. That way also, the mind can not attach to other sensory inputs. This way, you will get both done (samatha and vipassanā.) 
      5 users thanked author for this post.
      silasampanno
      Participant

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

it was very helpful to me :)

Lal
      Keymaster

I have re-written the post “How to Attain Samādhi via “Vipassanā Pubbanga Samatha” Bhāvanā.”

• Let me know if there are any questions. I did this in a hurry, so there could be mistakes.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
        silasampanno
        Participant

I respect for your efforts.

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!🙏

Yes. If I have any questions, I will write on the forum.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.