parakippana

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

Dear Lal Recently I came across a Pali word (parakippana), which is supposed to have something to do with “mental constructs.” However, I have not been able to determine the Pali meaning of the word either in a construct of ‘para’ or ‘akippana,’ only ‘kappana” (thought). Is perhaps the spelling ‘kippana’ incorrect and it should be kappana? In my paper, I am using this description as apposed to sabhava: “Anything other than an ultimate truth can only be the product of mental construction (parakippana), and are not realities existing by reason of their own nature.” I would like to make certain the meaning or constructed meaning in Pali. As always, ever so very thankful for your time and consideration.

Dipobhasadhamma

Lal
      Keymaster

Could the word be “parikappa”?

5 results for parikappa

If not, where did you come across it? A sutta?

Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

Dear Lal,
      Once again your knowledge of the Pali language solves the problem. I originally obtained the word while searching for information about “mental constructs” and came across the word parakippana. However, I was not certain that this is a Sanskrit rendering, but I could not find it anywhere in the Suttas. The meaning of the word from Sutta Central states that the meaning is “intention; assumption; supposition.” From the Pali Text Society: “preparation, intention, stratagem Th 1, 940. — 2. assumption, supposition, surmise A i.197; v.271; DhsA 308. (https://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/pali_query.py?qs=parikappa&searchhws=yes&matchtype=exact). All of which are mental constructs. I suppose that the Pali words ” manokamma,” “sankhara,” “cetasika,” “cintana” or “cetanā” could also be used to describe a “mental construct” or mentation. Again, thank you for your fastidious attention to your Forum. It is ery much appreciated.

Dipobhasadhamma

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.