Paccaya Sutta (SN12.27)

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Very recently I came across the Paccayasutta and within it, I came across a piece of evidence that’s without a doubt and anyone would have a very difficult time to refute. Is that “sekkha” mentioned in the sutta’s are ariya’s. 

On suttacentral, sekkha is defined as “a learner; one who is in the course of perfection”.

I feel this definition given can give rise to ambiguous interpretations of what sekkha’s are and it doesn’t give the complete understanding. 

I know there’s probably other sutta’s that mentions or give clear evidence what sekkha’s are, but this is a sutta that I came across and seeing it for myself through my own investigation. I thought I would share / mention.

Paccayasutta (SN12.27)

Such a noble disciple is called ‘one accomplished in view’, ‘one accomplished in vision’, ‘one who has come to the true teaching’, ‘one who sees this true teaching’, ‘one endowed with a trainee’s knowledge’, ‘one who has entered the stream of the teaching’, ‘a noble one with penetrative wisdom’, and ‘one who stands pushing open the door of the deathless’.”

Ayaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako diṭṭhisampanno itipi, dassanasampanno itipi, āgato imaṁ saddhammaṁ itipi, passati imaṁ saddhammaṁ itipi, sekkhena ñāṇena samannāgato itipi, sekkhāya vijjāya samannāgato itipi, dhammasotaṁ samāpanno itipi, ariyo nibbedhikapañño itipi, amatadvāraṁ āhacca tiṭṭhati itipī”ti.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. A sekkha is a Noble Person at or above the Sotapanna Anugami stage, training to be an Arahant (Asekha). 

Two suttas explain a sekha:

Sekkha Sutta (SN 45.13)” and “Sekkha Sutta (AN 3.85).”

The English translations can be improved. For example, the following verse in the second sutta “Adhisīlampi sikkhati, adhicittampi sikkhati, adhipaññampi sikkhati. Sikkhatīti kho, bhikkhu, tasmā sekhoti vuccatīti” can be a bit better translated as:

“They train with Ariyakanta sila (Adhisīla,) they cultivate defilement-free thoughts (dhicitta) with the comprehension of Tilakkhana (adhipañña.) That’s why they are called a ‘trainee’.”

See #4 of “Sotapatti Aṅga – The Four Qualities of a Sotāpanna” for a description of “ariyakanta sila.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.