Objectivity

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      sumbodhi
      Participant

Lal, what do you think about this?
      https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/9/eaaw9832

Isn’t this supporting the claim of an ‘observer effect’ or at least requiring us to create new views on “objectivity” in local scales?

My opinion is that even tho QM has probably made the most precise measurements (and predictions) ever done in science it’s not enough to give the complete picture. To draw in Buddhism it seems that QM might be governing reality only up to and including suddhātthaka levels.

So I’m thinking that what might appear as “observer effect” or what might be a wrong definition of objectivism is not because of how things work on the quantum level, but below quantum, it’s only that we can only think and observe it on that level and conclude it must be explainable within the same level.

Lal
      Keymaster

sumbodhi wrote: “My opinion is that even tho QM has probably made the most precise measurements (and predictions) ever done in science it’s not enough to give the complete picture. To draw in Buddhism it seems that QM might be governing reality only up to and including suddhātthaka levels.”

You are correct.

What happens below the suddhātthaka level is all MENTAL.
      – QM or science, in general, has no idea of the power of the human mind.
      – Suddhātthaka are created by the mind.

At the suddhātthaka level, “everything and every living being” is inter-connected.
      – This is called “quantum entanglement” in QM and you are likely to familiar with that. See, “Quantum Entanglement – We Are All Connected

This is a very broad subject. I have discussed it at: “Quantum Mechanics and Dhamma.”

You can get an idea about my thoughts in the post, “Quantum Mechanics and Dhamma – Introduction.”

I have discussed the “observer effect” in that section.

sumbodhi
      Participant

Thanks for the reply. I know you’ve written a paper but for now am trying to avoid reading it and your essays on advanced science topics before I get much more familiar with Buddha Dhamma.

It’s really incredible, the irony of growing up in the “material world” and thinking it’s all there is.. yet even science seems to go in the direction of one day discovering manō pubbangamā dhammā. There are western idealist philosophers but they have nowhere near as deep of an insight as someone who’s lived some 2500 years ago.

At one point I thought it would be impossible for a “simple human” to discover such deep reality, but then I reminded to myself he’s worked on it for tens of millions of jātī. So it is possible, it just takes a lot of dedication.

Lal
      Keymaster

sumbodhi wrote: “At one point I thought it would be impossible for a “simple human” to discover such deep reality, but then I reminded to myself he’s worked on it for tens of millions of jātī. So it is possible, it just takes a lot of dedication.”

Yes. A Buddha is a very special person. It is hard to explain how “special” a Buddha is. The appearance of a Buddha is very rare too. We are lucky to be human during a time when access to Buddha Dhamma is possible.
      I discussed this a little bit in the post “Pāramitā and Niyata Vivarana – Myths or Realities?

P.S. There seems to be a problem at the forum main page. It is not updating to show new comments. I am trying to fix the problem.
      – If anyone has a problem with publishing a post, please send me an email: [email protected]

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.