Natural reactions from learning & practicing Buddha Dhamma

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

Since there is no Bhante or monk near me to toss ideas around, I have a few questions that need some clarification and/or Sutta references.

1. Transformative Energy
      2. : Initially, when beginning to study the Buddha Dhamma and regularly meditating, there is of course some excitement due to curiosity, and doing something new. However, after a while (perhaps several years) is it common for a person to experience a kind of transformative energy? This experience is like a driving force (energy) that underlies everything that I do, think and say. Even when I try and push myself after the body complains “enough” there is this underlying sense of urgency and necessity. Is this normal or to be expected? What is happening?

3. Tension/Calm
      4. : The more I immerse myself in the Buddha Dhamma, meditation, both sometimes for hours or entire days, I experience a kind of inner tension that is at once like a kind of calm tension, if that makes any sense. Is this to be expected?

5. Period of Apathy Toward Material World (Isolation)
      6. : After my 7th year of intense study of the Buddha Dhamma, I find that I have entered a period where I have utterly no interest in going out of the house for pleasure or distraction. I have given away most of my personal belongings. Material things have hold no interest to me whatsoever. My car sat in the garage for so long the battery died. I only become excited when I go out to teach the Dhamma/Meditation class. Other than that, it is as though my interests in the world are shrinking. Is this to be expected and is it a normal effect of learning/practicing the Buddha Dhamma?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. It all makes sense, Dipo.

I and others here at the forum have had similar experiences.

As Lang once commented, the “nirāmisa sukha” is obvious.
      – Any “āmisa sukha” due to sensory experiences from the five physical senses is there only during the experience. For example, you taste the food only while eating.
      – But the “nirāmisa sukha” is a state of mind.

Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

Anicca – Worthlessness of Worldly Things

This section applies to my #3 above. Good that I discovered this section.
      Worthlessness of Worldy Things

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.