Namaskaraya

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello,

“Namo tasso bahagavato arahato samma sambuddhasso”

While reading Namaskaraya – Homage to the Buddha an alternative meaning to the Pali word “Namaskaraya” came. Lal’s description is:

the word namaskaraya (nama+as+käraya, where “nama” is one’s name, “as” pronounced like “us” means remove, and “käraya” means doing) conveys the idea that one is making a resolve to get rid of the attachment one has for one’s worldly things.

As an alternative, I see it as “removing” (remove + doing) my “name” (Donna’ness or me’ness = gati + asavas). Therefore, removing characteristics/habits and cravings seems to me to be an interpretation as well which is the kind of the same as Lal’s.

Just exploring here…Although, without “me’ness”, who or what are we without characteristics or cravings (i.e., lifestream)? Or put another way, what’s left of the lifestream after removing characteristics/habits, cravings? Or is it just mind that’s left? Or are there gati left just no attachments?

This ‘fish’ wants to poke it’s head out of the murky water and see the what’s on the other side. :D

With metta,
      Donna :)

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes, Donna. You have the right idea.

Once one’s all gathi are removed one has attained Nibbana!

Of course, one should start with getting rid of lobha gati, dosa gati, which will be first reduced to gati associated with kama raga/bhava raga and patigha. Then moha gati will be reduced to various gati associated with avijja.

With the comprehension of Tilakkhana (in four stages), one removes those too, and by that time all types of gati contaminated with defilements would have been removed.

However, there could be some character behaviors (not associated with lobha, dosa, moha) may still be left over. I think that is what Johnny mentioned below. For example, one young Arahant had a habit of jumping over things.

Johnny_Lim
      Participant

Hi Donna,

“Just exploring here…Although, without “me’ness”, who or what are we without characteristics or cravings (i.e., lifestream)? Or put another way, what’s left of the lifestream after removing characteristics/habits, cravings? Or is it just mind that’s left? Or are there gati left just no attachments?”

Even for the arahants, there will still be some personality traits in them. This is evident in the suttas. Believe the arahant’s lifestream is sustained by their kammic energy or their Ayusankhara. 3 months before the Buddha’s Parinibbana, He declared to his disciples that He would give up Ayusankhara and enter Parinibbana. Maybe this Ayusankhara is the will to live?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.