Meditation,Self/non-Self nd…an Altar.

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Embodied
      Spectator

Hi all

I’ve a meditation corner at home and i’m thinking to put there kind of an “altar” , but i’m not sure about what to put on it. Because…what’s left of the Buddha seeing that there is no soul ? And it seems that the usual little statues are not faithful to how he really was physically… what would be the most appropriate(s) symbol(s) ?

Thanks

Embodied
      Spectator

Seeing that (as much as i understand) there is no trace at all of a “life stream” that attained Nibanna.

SengKiat
      Keymaster

@Embodied say:

I’ve a meditation corner at home and i’m thinking to put there kind of an “altar” , but i’m not sure about what to put on it.

This website “Where To Place Your Buddha Statue” suggests where you can setup your “altar”.

With metta, Seng Kiat

Lal
      Keymaster

Having a separate space for meditation can be helpful for many people. It is just to setup the “right background”.

People’s gati can be in one or more of the following five:
      The five mental faculties (indriya) are saddha (faith), viriya (effort), sati (mindfulness), samadhi (concentration), and panna (wisdom); see, “Panca Indriya and Panca Bala – Five Faculties and Five Powers“.

Each person has one dominant and others to varying degrees. I would say having a meditation space could be really beneficial to those with dominant saddha the most.

Here is another possibly useful post that I just found on the web:”Create A Meditation Space in Your Home“.

Embodied
      Spectator

i have the impression that in my case the 5 indriyas are balanced – not too much of this, not too much of that.But, seen the world we live in, environmental motivation can have positive outcomes on internal motivation.
      I see this epoch as more difficult than the ancient times (Buddha epoch) to advance in the path.

Thanks again to both

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.