Meaning of Sanatana

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by Lal.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Aniduan
      Participant

I am just curious to know meaning of the word Sanatana. I know what San means from reading this site but not sure about Atana. Thank you.

Lal
      Keymaster

I have not seen a Pali word “santana.” Is it in a sutta? Where does it appear?

Aniduan
      Participant

I came across it on YouTube. Upon google search the word Sanatana Dharma comes up as eternal truth in Hinduism. But seeing the San prefix piqued my interest. I thought the word probably has Pali roots and was appropriated by Hindu religion. I just searched for the word on sutta central and nothing comes up.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. There are similar-sounding words common to Buddhism and Hinduism. 

cubibobi
      Participant

sanantana” appears in Verse 5 of Yamaka Vagga of the Dhammapada:

Na hi verena verāni
      sammantī’dha kudācanam
      Averena ca sammanti
      esa dhammo sanantano

Lal
      Keymaster

sanantano” in the above verse differs from “santana,” which is not a Pali word.

santanano” can be interpreted as “leading to the end of “san” (i.e., “san” + “anta” where “anta” means “end”). Here “sanantano” means  “end of ‘san’ is accomplished with

Thus, the verse can be translated as follows:

“Hatred is never appeased by hatred 

It is appeased only by loving-kindness

Non-hatred leads to the end of “san” (“san” + anti” rhymes as “sammanti“)

That Dhamma (Buddha Dhamma with non-hatred or loving-kindness) accomplishes the end of ‘san’

To attain the ability to generate genuine and automatic “non-hatred,” one must understand and follow the “anicca nature” of this world. Mere adherence to “non-violence” as a “sila” cannot achieve genuine and permanent “non-hatred.” In other words, only the “Ariyakānta sila” of a Sotapanna Anugami or above can have the basis of that mindset.

cubibobi
      Participant

Thank you, Lal! Your response shed much light and made me think of a few things.

First, Aniduan wrote: “Upon Google search the word Sanatana Dharma comes up as eternal truth in Hinduism”

I thought that he had a typo and left out the “n”, and thus I thought of the above Dhammapada verse. This is because I have seen only this kind of translation for the verse;

It is not by hatred that hatred
      subsides here anytime.
      but by non-hatred they subside.
      this is an eternal law.

The last line is always translated as:

this is the timeless Truth
      this is the eternal law
      etc.

I suppose this is another example of conventional meaning vs deeper meaning. I have not seen sanantano explained this way — as the end of “san” — although it makes a lot of sense, based on what we have been learning here.

Another question about the Pali breakdown: it seems like “anti” (in sammanti) and “anta” (in sanantano) are the same meaning components (the end) in different forms?

Related to the above, I was reading the latest post: Uncovering the Suffering-Free (Pabhassara) Mind

Under number 12, we have the phrase “sīti bhavissanti“, meaning “will be fully cooled down“. Does bhavissanti break down to “bhava” + “anti“?

Lal
      Keymaster

1. The Wikipedia article “Sanātana Dharma” says: “Sanātana Dharma refers to the “eternal” truth and teachings of Hinduism.

2. Buddha Dhamma is also an eternal Dhamma: It describes the world’s true nature. In the above verse, one such truth is that “That Dhamma (Buddha Dhamma with non-hatred or loving-kindness) accomplishes the end of ‘san’“ as I explained above.

3. Many of the teachings in the Vedas are mundane versions of the Buddha Dhamma taught by Buddha Kassapa, who appeared before Buddha Gotama. Of course, all Buddhas teach the same Paticca Samuppada Dhamma.

• As I have mentioned previously, many “Buddhist concepts” existed (in watered-down, mundane form) when Buddha Gotama was born. His mother had taken the “eight precepts” on the day the Buddha (Bodhisatta) was born.

Lang asked: “Under number 12, we have the phrase “sīti bhavissanti“, meaning “will be fully cooled down“. Does bhavissanti break down to “bhava” + “anti“?”

• It is a bit different.
      • A related word is “bhavissati” meaning “bhava” + “assa” usually referring to “staying in a certain way” or “to live accordingly.” 
      •  “bhavissanti” is plural.
      • Of course, “sīti” means “cooled-down state,” another synonym for Nibbana.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.