Meaning of phrase “Sabbeputtanjhana umattaka”

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

I am doing some research for a paper and I came across this phrase “Sabbeputtanjhana umattaka.” According to some translations the meaning attributed is: “all beings are insane or mad.” I have been unable to find the sutta reference for this phrase or individual words other than “sabbe & jhana, but none for the word “sabbeputtan” or derivative “sabbe[uttana” or “umattaka.” I’m tossing this one out here in the Forum to see if there is anyone with some direction for me. Thank you.

Lal
      Keymaster

If the verse is in the Tipitaka it should be, “sabbe pothujjanā ummattakā” meaning, “all average humans are engaged in useless activities like those who are insane”.

I have heard bhikkhus reciting that verse but I cannot find a sutta with that verse.

Sabbe = all; pothujjanā = average humans who have not attained at least the Sotapanna Anugami level
      ummattakā = insane/mad (meaning “engaged in unfruitful activities”)

The verse, “..kāmesu kāmasukhallikānuyogo hīno gammo pothujjaniko anariyo anatthasaṁhito..” is in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (SN 56.11).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.