Layman Arahant

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      angwllm
      Participant

Upon attainment of arahandhood, that human being will live his life till the end of his remaining current human jati or after 7 days, parinibana?

Ascendance to Nibbāna via Jhāna (Dhyāna); #15 seems to be saying that he will be living his life (jati) till it ends.

Lal
      Keymaster

“Upon attainment of arahandhood, that human being will live his life till the end of his remaining current human jati or after 7 days, parinibana?”

That holds ONLY for a layperson who has attained the Arahanthood.
      – But a bhikku with Arahanthood will live to the end of his natural life. We know that Ven. Ananda lived for 120 years, even though he attained Arahanthood at a young age. The Buddha himself was an Arahant and lived for 45 years after the Buddhahood/Arahanthood.

If a layperson attains Arahanthood, he/she MUST become a bhikkhu/bhikkhuni within 7 days. That is because a layperson cannot “bear” the Arahanthood for more than 7 days.

angwllm
      Participant

I got it. Thank-you so much.
      By the way, I am william ang from Singapore. A retiree soon.
      Puredhamma.net site had clarified many things for me. Once again, thank-you.

Lal
      Keymaster

You are welcome, William!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.