Karaniya Metta Sutta – Metta Bhavana

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tobias G
      Participant

Can someone please post a link to this Sutta at Suttacentral? I cannot find it.

SengKiat
      Keymaster

@Tobias G : Below are the links for the Karaniya Metta Sutta.

In pali “Sutta Nipāta 1.8 Mettasutta”

In English by Laurence Khantipalo Mills “Sutta Nipāta Mettā Sutta 1.8. Loving-kindness”

With metta, SengKiat

Christian
      Participant

Hello Dhamma brothers :)

I want to ask about #10 verse as the first Lal explains that one can attain Anagami thru Ariya Metta pracitce but once we go lower to the mentioned #10 verse Lal translates it as Sakadagami. Is this mistake or there is something more to this?

Thank you

Tobias G
      Participant

I think metta bhāvanā leads to the Anagami stage, therefore it is a mistake in verse 10.

Lal
      Keymaster

The post Christian is referring to: “Karaniya Metta Sutta – Metta Bhavana“.
      – Please always provide a link to the post, if the question is about a post.

At the end of the #10 verse is, “..Na hi jātug­abba­seyyam punaretī”ti.

“gabba” is womb. So, this part of the verse is: “will not again have a birth involving a womb”.

All the realms above the human realm involve ONLY instantaneous (opapatika) births. This includes the deva realms and the brahma realms. None of those births require a mother’s womb.

When one attains the Sakadagami stage, one will never be reborn in a realm below the deva realms. Of course Anagamis will only be born in the brahma realms reserved for them, and Arahants will not be reborn in any realms in this world.
      – Thus all Ariyas at and above the Sakadagami stage would qualify. I slightly re-worded the translation to emphasize this point.

Christian
      Participant

I was thinking exactly the same way Lal but just wanted to mention it as people who are new can find it contradicting :)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.