Kamma and Kamma Vipāka – a personal experience

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ravi777
      Participant

I invite Lal and others reading this post to take this as a confession by me.

When I was about 13 years old, I saw that a related Grand mother’s hands were shaking most probably due to her advanced age. Although I did not make fun of her to her face, I told this to other young relatives and had a laugh with them.

Years later, when I was in the 1st year in the University, I remember doing a practical in the lab, and my hands were shaking. Two others had seen this and when I was absent I heard from a colleague that they had made fun of me.

Although I am far far from being even an Arhant (and the Buddha advised us not to even think about how our Kamma bears fruit), I think this is an example of Bad Kamma and its fruits.

Although the initial act was merely a joke, the causes and effects principle I think, operated in this case.

I would like if all of you share your thoughts on this.

With Mettha,

ravi777.

Lal
      Keymaster

Thank you, Ravi, for sharing your experience.

• However, that incident is insignificant compared to serious kamma we may have committed in our previous lives (and even in this life.) 
      • We must remember that one can overcome any kamma vipaka (except for anantriya kamma) in this life itself. 
      • Angulimala killed almost a thousand people and attained the Sotapanna stage in a few minutes. He attained the Arahanthood within a couple of weeks. See “Account of Angulimāla – Many Insights to Buddha Dhamma.”
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      ravi777
      Participant

Thanks Lal for your input.

I focused here on what I understood as Dittha Dhamma Vedaniya Kamma, which is the Kamma which I think bears fruit in this life. I also consider this important to me as a reminder and a deterrent against any craving of mine to commit more serious bad Kamma – specially in times that I am pressurized.

I invite all viewers of this site to share any such experience you may have had.

With Mettha,

Ravi.

Lal
      Keymaster

“I focused here on what I understood as Dittha Dhamma Vedaniya Kamma, which is the Kamma which I think bears fruit in this life.”

• That is correct. Such “small kamma” can bring vipaka only during this life (“dittha dhamma vedaniya kamma.”)
      • “Strong kamma,” like killing a human, can bring vipaka into lives well into the future. They are “aparapariya vedaniya kamma.”
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.