jhana and anantarika kamma

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Here, I’ve learned that achieving ariya/anariya jhana is anantarika kamma.

However, before I met puredhamma, I had heard that cuti patisandhi into brahma is possible only when jhana is maintained until the very end of death.

I think this is a misunderstanding that occurred because they didn’t understand the concept of gandhabba.

So, one who attain anariya jhana doesn’t need to maintain jhanic state when he/she is at the close to death. Because anantarika kamma has already occurred.

Therefore, even if one had attained jhana ONLY ONCE in a given jati and then never entered jhana after that moment, it is still enough to rebirth at brahma realm. Right?

Lal
      Keymaster

If one has NOT lost the ability to get into a jhana by the time of death, they WILL BE born in a Brahma realm corresponding to that jhana.
      – That is true for an Ariya or anariya jhana.

The following details are important.
      1. If one attains an Ariya jhana, that comes with or after getting into at least the Sotapanna Anugāmi stage. Then the ability to get into jhana will never be lost. Thus, they WILL BE born in a Brahma realm.

2. Conversely, anariya jhanas may be “lost.”
      – Someone who attained an anariya jhāna may lose the ability to get into it later.
      – For example, Devadatta had attained the highest (anariya) jhana but lost that ability after he injured the Buddha and was involved in Sanghabedha too. Thus, he lost the “good anantariya kamma” and gained a “bad anantariya kamma” by his death and was born in an apāya.

dosakkhayo
      Participant

Ok. the key point of this is ability to enter jhana, not the experience. I understand.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.