Iccha

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gopinadh
      Participant

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa,

Iccha

Ichha in our vernacular is used for will(ing), wish, desire.

Some examples:

1. When I have to take an oath or declare before someone: I say, It is with “iccha” I gave my property to X. (here it is used in the sense of willingly)
      2. I have no icchas – Here used in the sense of “I have no wishes” , I am content in Life etc

I would request you to be patient and bear with me,  as I am not technically well equipped, and I write from a perspective which is based on our own day to day life, backed up with faith in Dhamma. I write this,  to discuss how  ingrained “Ichha” is, its complexity and how it can be used as a meditative tool to understand Dhamma and progress.

I wanted to write about Ichha from nutriment point of view. Consciousness as subjectivity,  consists of “taking in”.

Thus,  when we so stand as conscious beings,  we are constantly “taking in.” The natural inclination of “taking in” seems to consist of :  “to have a like(ing)” to “have an intention” “a wish” towards that which is being (or going to be)  taken in.

We always sit down for a meal in the anticipation of the meal being tasty. At least Palatable. This is Physical Ahara. Same with standing as Conscious Beings.  

If seen in this manner,  Consciousness = natural inclination to like/wish= which cannot be in the ultimate sense be fulfilled= Dukkha.

When we say “this is Dukkha” , I do not see any reason why anyone needs to be apologetic. Even if by “this” we mean “all this”.

I would like to contend that the insight, awareness , that “this is Dukkha” is itself the beyond, the untanglement.

However,  coming back, I want to present the ingrained “Ichha” in one more , relatable sense, which is the natural inclination    to “maintain”.

Have we ever seen ourselves standing in Malls, queues, or waiting outside restaurants?

Do all of us stand erect like poles? Some lean  on  the walls near by, some slightly bend, some sit on the pavement or bench. Most look at their cell phones.

The Akara or the position of the body has to be constantly maintained. The feelings which accompany the Posture have to be maintained.

Or we suffer. One single posture if kept for long gives us an ache. So we slightly bend, lean, or sit, or stand or walk etc. We maintain the feelings by taking out the cell phones.

Sirs,  its there sirs, in our daily lives 24* 7,  all around.

This constant pressure to maintain is the “bhara”, or “parihara bhara” or “peeda”.

If we don’t maintain they fall. Let it be the body or the feeling(s)

<<https://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/lesson/pali/reading/gatha147.htm>>

Thus,  a “level”, a “mean” , a “benchmark” which is constantly maintained.

There is a inbuilt “drive”, “wish” to maintain.

I think we have moved close enough to Ichha and the subtle complexities.

The Effects come to surface when Ichha Gets intensified.

As Crop is ruined by Weeds, Man gets ruined by such irrational Iccha. <<https://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/lesson/pali/reading/gatha359.htm>>

kindly add /correct/improve

Lal
      Keymaster

You wrote: “This constant pressure to maintain is the “bhara”, or “parihara bhara” or “peeda”.”

• I am guessing what you mean by “bhara” is the “burden” and “peedā” is “stress” (“pilana” in Pāli)?

If so, that sentence embeds what the Buddha was trying to teach. 

• Bhara” (or bhāra) is the burden of “seeking pleasure in worldly things.” Since worldly things never provide lasting happiness (instead, seeking them leads to more suffering in the long term), people (and all living beings) are trapped in this process. Icca (or iccha) is the desire for worldly things and, thus, to pursue them.
      • That is why the Buddha said, “pancupadanakkhandha is dukkha.” See #8 of the new post “Pāli Suttās in Tipiṭaka – Direct Translations are Wrong.”
      • This message is embedded in the “Bhāra Sutta (SN 22.22).”
        gopinadh
        Participant

Yes sir , by bhara i meant burden and pilana by peeda. 

Both are words from my local language. Bhaarya (wife), Bhartha(Husband), Bharinchadam (to Bear), Bharuvu (Weight), Bhaaramu(Burden)  all these are words built on “Bhaara” , in our language.   Siimilalry Peeda is like Pilana.

I will study the new posts . 

Regards Sir.

gopinadh
          Participant

Ariyaratna Sir, I would like to add, that only after reading your post on “pilana”  i could trace back and co relate the concept and the actual word to our own “peeda”.

Many times,  I am amazed of how some words and their lingusitic settings/contexts , passed down from generations, can be  potent, provided,  we are well aquianted with them and  their correct contextual usage etc.  

Society seems to  preserve  certain  “truths” it has seen,  through  language.

Regards and Thanks Sir. Hope all is sound and well with you. 

Lal
      Keymaster

For others’ information, the post on “pilana”: “Anicca – The Incessant Distress (“Pīḷana”)

You wrote: “Many times,  I am amazed of how some words and their lingusitic settings/contexts , passed down from generations, can be  potent, provided,  we are well aquianted with them and  their correct contextual usage etc. “

• Yes. The Sinhalese (Sinhala language) words are very similar: “pilana” is the same (පීලන), although the word “peleema” (පෙලීම) is more common; “bhara” is “bara” (බර).
      • Languages in that region have similar words with similar meanings. That is why I was able to guess the meanings of the words you used.
      gopinadh
      Participant

Yes Sir. Now that you say sir,  I find the scripts  matching to a degree as well!

బర is my telugu for ba and ra sounds while. 

බර is Sinhala!

Any ways, Thank you sir, I have just started reading your new post and going through the side headings,  it looks like a treasure trove. 

For any doubts I will certainly ask sir. Regards

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.