How to measure kamma vipaka?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Aleksandar
      Participant

Any tips on how to approach this issue and what to do next of my life to uncover law of kamma would be appreciated, currently doing Kāyānupassanā, sometimes I just forget about it
      why i want to know? to finally tackle this issue of decision-making , how to make good decision every time. thank you

Lal
      Keymaster

Good question, especially the part: “how to make good decisions every time.”

This is the basis or the foundation of the Noble Path.

As we know, before giving up the householder life, the Buddha was a prince and had a son, Rahula. Rahula also became a bhikkhu at age seven. Buddha’s advice to that young Ven. Rahula is detailed in the “Amba­laṭṭhi­ka­rāhu­lovāda Sutta (MN 61).”

A fairly good English translation is, “Discourse on an Exhortation to Rāhula at Ambalaṭṭhikā.”

The first part of the translation is not very good. But starting with the section “Reflection before Action” the translation is good.
      – Please read that sutta and ask questions if clarification is needed.

Basically, the Buddha was telling Ven. Rahula that he should always be mindful of his actions, speech, and thoughts.
      – If any of those can bring harm to oneself OR TO others one should not engage in such actions, speech, or thoughts.
      – These are dasa akusala.

Furthermore, one should actively engage in actions, speech, or thoughts that would be for the benefit of oneself AND to others.
      – These are dasa kusala.

This is discussed at, “Ten Immoral Actions (Dasa Akusala)

P.S. Since you mentioned Kāyānupassanā, it is discussed at:
      Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta

cubibobi
      Participant

Hello Lal,

The links under the Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta section cannot be found:

Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta – Structure
      Satipaṭṭhāna – Introduction
      Kāyānupassanā – Section on Postures (Iriyapathapabba)
      Kāyānupassanā – The Section on Habits (Sampajanapabba)
      Prerequisites for the Satipaṭṭhāna Bhavana
      What is “Kaya” in Kāyānupassanā?

SengKiat
      Keymaster

Thanks @cubibobi on the “The links under the Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta section cannot be found:

Have corrected the links under the “Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta section”.

With mettā, SengKiat

Lal
      Keymaster

There could be other links that may not work.

I used a software program (a plugin) to update Pali words to “Tipitaka English.” It was a site-wide automatic update. That probably has led to this issue.

Please let us know if you run into “broken links.” You can post at the forum, or send me an email: [email protected].

Thanks for taking care of those links, Seng Kiat.
      – As you all know, Seng Kiat is maintaining the eBook in addition to handling administrative tasks of the website and the forum: “Pure Dhamma Essays in Book Format

cubibobi
      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.