How to get rid of ego (asmi mana)

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Aniduan
      Participant

I was able to reduce tanha for food and sex by a significant degree. I was able to completely quit alcohol. With progress in these areas the tapa reduced.

I am having difficulty with reducing ego (asmi mana). When someone doesn’t treat me well, even if unintentionally I get very upset. This happens mostly at work place. I feel like I deserve some respect and not to be ignored. I practice satipattana whole day but at moments like these I am completely overwhelmed and start my plans to take revenge on people and hate them. I don’t like this tapa and wish I don’ feel it but I can’t help and get carried away.

I know asmi mana goes away completely only at the Arahanth stage. But what are some ways to reduce this gradually.

Lal
      Keymaster

You have made great progress. Sadhu! Sadhu!! Sadhu!!!

You are right. Asmi mana goes away only at the Arahant stage.
      – However, asmi mana will also decrease gradually as you make progress. It is not a sudden drop.

For example, a Sotapanna Anugami starts losing all ten samyojana gradually as he/she makes progress.
      – Then the first three samyojana (sakkaya ditthi, vicikicca, silabbata paramasa) will cease in one thought-moment. That is when one attains the Sotapanna stage.
      – However, by that time the other 7 samyojana would have decreased in varying degrees too.
      – Then kama raga and patigha will cease to exist at the Anagami phala moment. By that time, the other five samyojana would have decreased in varying degrees.

But it is asmi mana that is usually eliminated last together with avijja. There are some who have eliminated rupa raga and arupa raga but have the other three (mana, uddacca, avijja) remaining to some degree. Those there are the last to go away at the Arahant stage.

So, I would not worry too much about asmi mana. Hopefully, you will see it reduce too gradually.

By the way, one loses asmi mana when one fully realizes the anatta nature.
      – The first step is to “see” the anicca nature.
      – The current series of posts on the Five Aggregates discuss these in a systematic way:
      The Five Aggregates (Pañcakkhandha)

Aniduan
      Participant

Thank you. I guess I need to be patient and just keep learning dhamma and make progress. I will read the The Five Aggregates again from the start step by step.

With Metta

Aniduan
      Participant

Thank you Lal. I guess I need to be patient and just keep learning dhamma and make progress. I will read the The Five Aggregates again from the start step by step.

With Metta

Christian
      Participant

from what I found asmi mana is strongly connected to sanna – it does not exists without perception and it’s created on the basis of perception and whole PS cycle related to vinnana also. I realized that my sanna starts to disappear and by sanna I mean here polluted perception with avijja so I guess it would be in relation to viannana. Generally for example once seeing something would trigger me I was surprised there was no trigger in my mind – normally would be there, my mind so to speak was ready to “grasp” that bhava of reaction but there was nothing to grasp which kind of shocked my mind. Path is very organic ,gradual and step by step unless you are high born beyond Neyya stage for most people it will be in parts. :)

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. Christian.

There are three types of distortions (vipallasa) that arise due to taking the world to be of “nicca, sukha, atta” nature, instead of anicca, dukkha, anatta (real nature).
      – There are three levels of comprehension. Roughly speaking, one removes the wrong views (ditthi vipallasa) about them at the Sotapanna stage. Then sanna vipallasa removed at the Anagami stage and citta vipallasa removed at the Arahant stage.

A Sotapanna or a Sakadagami has NOT removed the sanna for sensory pleasures (that is why they are reborn in kama loka). In other words, he/she may UNDERSTAND that those are not worth pursuing. But they just cannot help enjoying sensory pleasures. That means they have not removed the “SANNA vipallasa”. That means “confusion on PERCEPTIONS about wrong/unfruitful activities”.

I will get to discuss vipallasa in upcoming posts in the pancakkhandha section.

Lal
      Keymaster

I just came across a post on vipallasa. I had forgotten about it:
      Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Sankhāra

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.