How to call the Buddha in Sinhala word?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      namo0804
      Participant

Hearing Waharaka Thero’s desana, I have learned that බුදුරජාණන් වහන්සේ(budurajāṇan vahansē) and budupiyāṇan vahansē means Buddha in Sinhala.

While learning, I have been curious about the difference in nuance between the two words.

Can I get an explanation?

Additionally, I wonder if there are other names besides that.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Terms like බුදුරජාණන් වහන්සේ(budurajāṇan vahansē) and budupiyāṇan vahansē are synonyms for the Buddha in the Sinhala language. 

• They emphasize one’s respect/admiration for the qualities of the Buddha.
      • Rāja” means “king/emperor,” and “Piyā” means “father.” Thus, those two terms imply that one respects the Buddha more than anyone else. A king or a father can provide protection only during this life. A Buddha can provide protection (guidance) to stop ANY/ALL future suffering.
      3 users thanked author for this post.
        namo0804
        Participant

Thank you for explanation Ven Lal! May your commitment and merits help your journey to Nibbana.

Jorg
      Participant

While on this topic, I know that monks in Sri Lanka are called Swamin Wahanse/Svāmin Vahansē. 
      What are the exact meanings of these words?

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

“Swamin Wahanse/Svāmin Vahansē (ස්වාමින් වහන්සේ) is an honorary term reserved for an honored bhikkhu or the Buddha. 

Also, another term used for ONLY the Buddha is “අමා මෑණියන් වහන්සේ” (amā maniyan vahansē) where “amā” indicates Nibbāna and “mani” (මෑණි) indicates “mother.” 

• Thus, it is the third term used for the Buddha in addition to the first two mentioned above.
      4 users thanked author for this post.
      namo0804
      Participant

In thero’s desana, I learned that ‘යලියලි’ means ‘again’.

Is the etymology of this word in the Pāli language?

Lal
      Keymaster

It does mean that.

• But I don’t think there is a Pali root there.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.