How long should one stay in Jhana?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sotapanna anugami
      Participant

Niramisa sukha has become kind of permanent and I can get into Jhana whenever I sit with my eyes closed, as read in other section of forum i had this experience too where something propagated the neck and stayed in face and head during the meditation, I am having these kind of experiences for quiet a few days. My questions
      -Do I have to endure the mild pain in the legs if I stay in jhana for long? but I read in a post that we should change the posture when legs start hurting, but I mostly meditate in lotus posture and if I change the posture I lose the jhana (freezed state with clear comprehension accompanied by rapture and happiness). Should I stay in Jhana for as long as pain doesn’t arise in legs?
      -What exactly is abandoning pain and pleasure and entering in 4th Jhana?
      -Does the breathing stops in the 4th Jhana? I read here that ones body is no longer felt and one is totally covered with white light.

With Metta and Much gratitude for Lal Sir.

Lal
      Keymaster

The Buddha has provided a detailed account of jhanic experience in detail:
      Jhānic Experience in Detail – Sāmañ­ña­phala Sutta (DN 2)

Each jhana has different levels: weak, medium, and strong. The descriptions are strong experiences.

– As one cultivates the fourth jhana, any feelings about the body will gradually fade away.
      – Remember that each jhanic experience describes the experience of a Brahma in the corresponding Brahma realm.
      – At the peak of the fourth jhana, one is about to enter the arupavacara jhana depicting arupavacara Brahmas. They have only the mind.
      – Therefore, the breathing would stop in the fourth jhana.
      – In the same way, bodily pains should go away in early jhanas. Brahmas do not feel pain.

To get to any jhana, one must transcend the kama loka. In anariya jhana that is achieved on a temporary basis, by just suppressing kama raga.
      – This is why one can attain even the first Ariya jhana only when one is at the Anagami stage, where there is no kama raga anusaya left.

That statement is in ALL suttas describing jhanic experience (see #2):
      So vivicceva kāmehi, vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakkaṃ savicāraṃ vivekajaṃ pītisukhaṃ paṭhamaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati..“.

Thus “vivicceva kāmehi” could be on a temporary basis (anariya jhana) and on a permanent basis in Ariya jhana.
      – Here “permanent” means one will NEVER lose the ability to get into jhana, even in future lives. That is why an Anagami DOES NOT come back to lower realms from the rupavacara Brahma realms reserved for Anagamis.
      – Those who cultivate anariya jhana are also born in other rupavacara Brahma realms. But they “come back” to the human realm, and in subsequent rebirths could be reborn in apayas as well. They are not “permanently released” from any realm in kama loka.

Sotapanna anugami
      Participant

I think most of the time I get into samadhi rather that Jhana, and only sometimes I feel intense rapture during meditation. I think I am around weak level of 1st Ariya Jhana.
      Thank You sir for clarying the levels of Jhanas, I missed that earlier.

With Metta.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.