Help with finding sutta

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

I’m not sure if I’m remembering this correctly or I have this correct, but was there occasions where the Buddha (not when as a Bodhisattva) or Arahants staying / living for a short period of time in palaces or luxurious places and teaching others? If so, which sutta’s gives account of this?

In another thread, it was mentioned that:

“There is also a sutta that gives the account of a person who thought he had given up all attachment to the world; when he died, he was born a Brahma and came to the Buddha to ask why that happened. The Buddha explained that he had not given up his attachment to the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha and came to visit Jetavanaramaya until the very end of his life”. 

This is not urgent or important, but would anyone know off by hand which sutta gives this account?

Thanks to Lal and everyone in advance for their time and help. 

Lal
      Keymaster

The Buddha spent many years in Jetavanaramaya (built by Anāthapiṇḍika, a wealthy person): “Jetavana.” Some accounts say it was more luxurious than a King’s palace. Yet the Buddha embarked on a months-long journey in his last days when he was old and was facing some health conditions; he and Ven. Ananda traveled on foot for many months living under harsh conditions.  

• There is no requirement for the Buddha or bhikkhus to live in misery. There may have been a reason for the Buddha to undertake that journey in his last days. 
      • However, for obvious reasons, living in such luxurious residences is not advisable for bhikkhus who have not attained magga phala. That is why most temples are simple residences. Many bhikkhus (who are determined to make progress) live in simple huts in forests to avoid distractions.

I am on travel for several more days. When I return, I will try to find the sutta reference asked in the second part of the question.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Thank you sir, all the best and safe travels. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.