Free will in buddhism

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sybe07
      Spectator

This refers to the post: https://puredhamma.net/dhamma-and-philosophy/free-will-in-buddhism-connection-to-sankhara/

I only want to share the experience that craving, greed, urge can be very very strong and hard to resist. Some people who are alcoholist must not drink any alcohol, not even in a bonbon, because somehow this triggers an uncontrolable urge. It is like one becomes totally obsessed.

I do not have this urge with alcohol but i myself can sometimes feel obsessed. In such a state it is really hard to resist this obsession-like state. It is like something is pushing you from behind.

I also hearded about misophonio. There can arise in the mind an almost uncontrolable hate against certain sounds such as people eating an apple or cracking noices of chips in someones mouth. People with this disposition often avoid public places such as trains. I do not have this but a friend of mine has. He once said he really wanted to attack me when i was eating a cake. He has Asperge, in the autistic spectrum. He did withstand the impulse.

I only want to say, we must admit and see that we, humans, cannot always withstand urges. Knowing how strong urges can be we can be compassionate towards ourselves and others who misbehave and show there (yet) inability to be in constant controll.

Siebe

Christian
      Participant

I think the difference is in lokiya and lokuttara Path which are mundane and supermundane. Understanding nature of this world and how things are works different on the mind then just moral control which is needed to realize true nature of this world.

Practicing Satipatthana is like slowing down the pace of the wheel. Once the wheel slowed enough you can see it’s true condition. If you are compulsive then proper Satipatthana will help you almost instantly or in couple days it can be life changing (based on results in my group). Once you are free from those compulsive actions of mind, you can develop insight more smoothly.

Johnny_Lim
        Participant

“I only want to share the experience that craving, greed, urge can be very very strong and hard to resist. Some people who are alcoholist must not drink any alcohol, not even in a bonbon, because somehow this triggers an uncontrolable urge. It is like one becomes totally obsessed.”

On the same note, many people nowadays are so obsessed with wifi access and marrying to their mobile phones. Cut oneself off from these stuffs for a day and see how our kilesas are suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I know of someone who cannot be away from his mobile phone for even a minute! Hobbyists forums are also another vice to avoid. They are highly toxic and addictive. The same goes for other social media content. I suppose boredom is an unwholesome state of mind that requires proper mental cleansing. Fortunately we have Buddha Dhamma to help us out in this aspect.

Lal
      Keymaster

Siebe said: “I only want to share the experience that craving, greed, urge can be very very strong and hard to resist.”

Of course. that is the key issue.

One cannot make progress without overcoming these cravings. This why the Buddha said: “Strive as hard as you can”. Results do not come automatically. One has to work at it.

However, it is also essential learn Dhamma so that one understands the MAIN REASON for getting rid of those cravings: The hidden dangers in them. When one sees the dangers, one will be motivated to overcome cravings. Again, it is a step-by-step process.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.