Formal Meditation

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Lal.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Yash RS
      Participant

To progress above the sotapanna stage is formal meditation really required?

If we just do Anapanasati (24×7) is that enough?

I read posts, contemplate them, watch dhamma talks, contemplate them and I try to be mindful as long as I could (Anapanasati). Is this enough??

I have started to feel much calmer than before with reduced sensuality, but I want to progress as fast as I could. Is there something else that I should also do as a lay?

Lal
      Keymaster

It depends on what you mean by Anapanasati (and what you do there.)

• If you can explain how you engage in Anapanasati, I can comment.
      Yash RS
      Participant

Whenever any desire or craving comes in the mind I try to remove it focusing on the stress that comes with it and the relief the mind feels when it’s not there. 

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. That is good; be mindful all the time!

There is another aspect that will help a lot with reducing cravings.

• We have a “distorted saññā” that worldly things (tasty food, attractive things, and attractive people) have such “mind-pleasing inherent qualities.” But the Buddha taught that it is a “made-up perception” by our minds. 
      • That understanding will help tremendously with controlling cravings.
      • It is a good idea for everyone to read the post, “Sotapanna Stage and Distorted/Defiled Saññā” and the background material for it pointed out in the last bullet below. The subsequent post “Pabhassara Citta and Saññā Vipallāsa” was a continuation of that discussion. These are the only two posts so far in the new section “Sotapanna Stage via Understanding Perception (Saññā).
      • In the next post, I will discuss the “Mūlapariyāya Sutta,” which describes the main reason for this “distorted saññā or delusion to arise in our minds. I touched on it in the post “Saññā Vipallāsa – Distorted Perception.”
      • To start from the beginning of the discussion, the sequence of posts to be read is in the sectionIs There a “Self”?” The first three subsections provide the necessary background. Take notes as you proceed. After that, I started the current series of posts in “Sotapanna Stage via Understanding Perception (Saññā),” where I will continue the discussion.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      Christian
      Participant

There is no way to actually do it faster than you are naturally conditioned to progress on the Path. Imagine bodybuilding, it depends on your genetic makeup how much/big and how fast you will grow, it’s the same with Dhamma – having living Buddha would be relative to having “steroids” as Buddha could progress the Path for you by explaining what you need to know and in what context so you can realize Nibbana faster.

Also Dhamma Path is not progressive as you would think of, it takes much more for person as you need to develop your own way of understanding Dhamma or should I say “in your own way” to understand it. Anapanasati etc. are good but it takes much more then that so if you “want” to progress faster do not look of way to do it “faster” as you will develop unwholesme mind, you need to look for right inputs for your mind that can give you insight – and asking, talking with Ariyas, listening to the discourses are one way to do it and developing meditation so mind can see more clearly is another

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. Quite true.

• As we dive deeper into Buddha’s teachings, a solid background becomes necessary. Without a proper background, it will be an exercise of just reciting some words. 
      • To get an idea of that, please read the English translation of the “Mūlapariyāya Sutta (MN1)” in that link, where the translator substituted each Pali word with an English word. Can anyone understand what the English translation says?
      • Many Pali words CANNOT be translated directly into ANY language. We must understand the MEANING of such Pali words and use those Pali words even in English translations. 
      3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.