Falling into the Nirayas before death

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Gad.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gad
      Participant

I have come across two stories from the Suttas where individuals are said to have been absorbed by the earth and sent to the Nirayas. What’s interesting is that these people were not dead nor had they committed any Anantariyas Karmas . Can we say that these kinds of events only appear when a Lord Buddha is in the world?

Here are these stories: 1. Cincamanavika Vatthu.

She ran as fast as she could, and when she had gone some distance the earth cracked and fissured and she was swallowed up.

2. Uppalavannattheri Vatthu

But he would not be stopped. After satisfying himself, he left her. As soon as he stepped on the ground, the earth opened wide and he was swallowed up.

• In the first story, the ascetic woman Cincamanavika spreads false rumours about Lord Buddha. In the second the Venerable Arahant Uppalavanna Theri was raped by her cousin. By the way, Venerable Uppalavanna was one of the two main bhikkhunis (nun) disciples of Lord Buddha.
      • It seems that raping an arahant and slandering a Lord Buddha leads to atrocious Vipākas. However, some people have committed Anantariya Kamma and remained unharmed until their deaths. I believe that there is no point in discussing this kind of thing which relates to the complexity of Kamma. Only the Lord Buddha has the answer.
      • Little information: Those who have committed one of the 5 Anantariyas Kammas can never be ordained in the Sangha. Before being ordained the Bhikkhus will ask you if you have already committed one. Even if you lie you will never be a true monk or nun. Another rejection is if you have seduced or had sexual relations with a Bhikkhus or Bhikkhunis in the past. Those who commit this can never be ordained in the Sangha.

• This topic was modified 1 week ago by Gad.
      • This topic was modified 1 week ago by Gad.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. These are aspects open to different interpretations.

According to modern science, all matter is made of atoms, and an atom is mostly empty. See #9 of “Pāṭihāriya (Supernormal Abilities) of a Buddha – Part I

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Gad
      Participant

Thank you for sharing the links, sir. I will read them!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.