Encounter the devas (maybe)

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Lal.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tien
      Participant

This was happen few days ago. At that time, I’m standing under the bright sun of 11:30 AM to wait for a bus, and reciting suttas in my head (particularly the MN 107 and few others sutta about the drawbacks of sensuality). There is little activity happen in the surrounding area because the bus station located deep inside a rural and open area.

Then I see very strange phenomenal that I’ve never seen before. Many orb (I can only see them as orb because they’re so small) orbiting right before my eyes (at a distance of under 10cm), they are really small, they are super bright – their brightness surpass the mid day sun, they have a golden color, with an observable aura and a tail of light when they move fast – of the pink color. Maybe up to 20 orbs. I can’t see much detail because they’re so bright, so small and move fast. The area where they orbiting just as small as my thumb. This video can get you an idea about their direction of movement (but they move much faster than what showed in this video): https://youtu.be/kYkD-dcupAU?t=23

I have no idea what devas look like so this may not be them, or it just simply my illusion. But in the past I was really into seeing the devas, I thought “it would be good if I can see the devas”, so this past aspiration maybe the cause for this appearance.

There are many occurrences happen to me that obviously indicate an external influences in a positive way:

One of which is few months ago when I was walking to school, I really need to answer the call of nature immediately or else my pants would get dirty, then, out of nowhere one of my friend drive a motorcycle next to me and ask me to get on, he then drive me to school and drop me there, I thought he’s going to school just like me but no, he drop me there and drive somewhere else.

Another incident is on a certain day, I have a thought: “It been a long time since I eat peanut butter”. Then evening of that same day my mom bring back a bag of many peanut butter cakes – which is very unusually because this kind of cake I didn’t even know it exist.

After many of such occurrences, I feel like I’m receiving too much from whatever force there might be, so I ask them to just let me do my own practice. Then from that day, surely enough those convenient coincidences have stopped.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

“After many of such occurrences, I feel like I’m receiving too much from whatever force there might be, so I ask them to just let me do my own practice. Then from that day, surely enough those convenient coincidences have stopped.”

I think you made the right decision, Tien.

I am not sure whether you really saw devas or not. But there are “well-intentioned beings” who do help out those who live moral lives. We don’t need to ask for their help.

There is a deeper aspect to this. As I have discussed in many posts, people with similar “gati” (character/habits) tend to associate with each other. That holds for all living beings.

The down-side of this is that there are beings out there (below the deva level) who have “bad gati” and they tend to try to influence those people with similar bad gati.
      – Such bad beings also tend to be attracted to physically dirty environments too. That is why we need to keep living spaces clean.
      – I discussed a little bit about that in, “What Does Buddha Dhamma Say about Creator, Satan, Angels, and Demons?.”
      – A basic discussion on gati at, “The Law of Attraction, Habits, Character (Gati), and Cravings (Asavas).”

yann
      Participant

Hello,

This has nothing to do with devas…
      This is your own mind / karma attracting situations and experiences. This kind of things happen regularly and will keep happening to you.
      Wishing something strongly often results in odds circumstances like those you witnessed. Get used to it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Yash RS
      Participant

Such instances have also started to  happen with me in the recent times.

There was one day I was going to the gym and I wanted a lifting belt because the belt the gym had was very loose for me, so I had to use a dirty jacket of the gym to tie the belt.

I was just thinking down the way that “I hope the gym has a new belt that fits me well”

And when I entered the gym about to squat, I found a brand new belt which fit me perfectly, I asked the people around whose belt is this? Can I use this? They said they don’t know. We all thought that it’s the new gym belt .So I just used it and the point is the next day that belt was nowhere!

No one knows where that belt is now!

But I still think of that day as a coincidence because I cannot confirm.

There have been a few more instances which I cannot recall currently.

The recent one was when my Mentor was being transferred to another state( She would assess me in the exam I am going to attempt in some years). So I couldn’t even talk to her on phone as they don’t provide the personal numbers of the mentors. And the other two mentors were not that good in guiding the students. So I got stressed by this news and thought “Had I taken her personal number, I would have not faced this problem”

Now I had to meet my new mentor.

I went to the centre after many days, and I saw my previous mentor.

She was there, and gave me her personal number, all the books required and assured me to guide through the process. 

I still don’t know if it is a coincidence or not.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Gad
      Participant

Yes, one of my teachers spoke about this experience. He experienced this in Burma for many years in his youth.

• When we get closer to the Dhamma, we get closer to reality. Our thoughts align with reality. He said when we reach a high level of morality(sīla)or concentration (samadhi) our wishes come true more easily. A mind that approaches purity is extremely powerful. Remember that the Dhamma is purely mental. Lord Buddha said that the mind is the precursor of matter. If we act with a pure mind happiness follows us like the cart follows the ox.

• However, by indulging in this one can easily fall into sakkaya ditthi. Brahma Baka is an example. Long ago when in an empty kappa, He was the only being below the Abhassara world. He said to himself; It would be good if there were beings and worlds. Beings and worlds have indeed appeared. Since then he has fallen into the erroneous belief that he is the creator of all things.

• The devas also have thoughts which give rise to their wishes. They may wish to experience such sensual pleasures etc.

• In summary, as long as we do not have a good knowledge of the Dhamma, this type of experience can be very dangerous and lead us away from the path. It will strengthen sakkaya ditthi if one does not have wisdom.

Lal
      Keymaster

Excellent observation!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.