Dutiyaovādasutta (SN 16.7)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

SN 16.7: Dutiyaovādasutta – Mahāsaṅgīti Tipiṭaka Buddhavasse 2500 (suttacentral.net)

‘na santi bhikkhū ovādakā’ti, bhante, parihānametaṁ.

Translated as: 

“When there are no mendicant advisers there is decline.”

– If the translation is mostly accurate / correct. Who are the mendicant advisers being referred to in the translation or the sutta? I believe it would be the Buddha and Arahants. What about sotapannas? 

SengKiat
      Keymaster

Greetings! TripleGemStudent,

‘na santi bhikkhū ovādakā’ti, bhante, parihānametaṁ.
      Translated as: 
      “When there are no calm bhikkhus‘ advisers, bhante, there is decline.”

These calm bhikkhus (ordained monks) are the Sotāpanna and above but does not include the Buddha (bhante).

The Sutta is a dialog between Venerable Mahākassapa and Buddha.

With mettā, Seng Kiat

Lal
      Keymaster

Sometimes “santi” is used to express “there are.”

See, for example, “Suddhika Sutta (SN 31.1)

TGS: When you provide a link, you should select “new window” in the “target box” in the “insert link” popup. That will open the page in a new tab. I have done that to your link, and now the sutta opens in a new tab in your comment.

• For those who are not sure how to provide a link, click on the “chain link” symbol. When you hover over each formatting symbol, it tells you what it does. For example, “B” is for “bold.”
      • One must select the text to be bolded, italicized, etc. When providing a link, select the title of the link and then click the link symbol in the formatting panel.
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Thank you both Sengkiat and Lal for your insights and assistance! If both of you don’t mind, I’ll be requesting more of it in the future and thank you both in advance.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.