Dhammanan?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Suwapath wewa,

Well . . . This is pretty interesting, I was going to ask for help with the meaning of dhammanan from the line “eva me tassa dhammanan samudhayo hoti” in Kusala-Mula P.S. But then thought that I should try to see for myself what meaning I can make out of the word “dhammanan” based on my very limited knowledge of Pali words. This is what I came up with

Dham = dhammā = kamma bīja, rupa, pretty much everything in the 31 realms of existence.
      or
      Dhamma (Buddha Dhamma)

Manan = Marana = death
      or
      mana = mind?

“eva me tassa dhammanan samudhayo hoti” = and that is how the ending of ones’ dhammā originates

I probably didn’t get the meaning of Dhammanan right. This line comes from the end of the Kusala-Mula P.S. From what I can understand/know about the Kusala-Mula P.S., it takes/helps/leads one to put a stop to the rebirth process, putting a stop to arising of dhammā for that life stream.

Lal taught “manō viññāna arise when dhammā make contact with the mana indriya” If I remember correctly, viññāna is the connection between nama and rupa = namarupa. So if there is no arising of viññāna for the living being, then that living being world doesn’t arise.

The stopping of the rebirth process is the stopping of dhammā arising for the life stream.

Any feedback or anyone able to help out with the meaning of Dhammanan? Thanks in advance.

With Metta,

Lal
      Keymaster

The word “dhamma” may have different meanings depending on the context.

1. In Buddha Dhamma it refers to “teachings”.

2. The verse that you refer to “eva me tassa dhammanan samudhayo hoti” in Kusala-Mula P.S. refers to “an understanding of Buddha Dhamma”. Specifically, it refers to understanding the Noble Truths.
      – That verse is the last step in Kusala-Mula P.S.
      – That becomes clear when you look at the corresponding last verse in the Akusala-Mula P.S.: “Evametassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa samudayō hōti

3. However, in most cases, “dhamma” refers to “anidassana appatigha rupa” that makes contact with the hadaya vatthu (seat of the mind) and generates mano vinnana.
      That happens via, “manañca paṭicca dhamme ca uppajjāti manoviññāṇaṃ.”
      – These dhamma are the ones that bring kamma vipaka at times and also bring past memories to the mind.

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Suwapath wewa Lal,

Thank you for your reply. May any merits obtained from this sharing of the Buddha Dhamma, be shared with all the worldly living beings and help us all attain the supreme bliss of Nibbana. Saddhu saddhu saddhu.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.