Dhamma message at the funeral of Waharaka Thero

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Dhamma message given by Ven. Kivuldeniya Vijithananda Thero during the last rites ceremony of most Ven. Waharaka Abayarathnalankara Thero.

Waharaka Thero was not an ordinary monk. He was an Anubudu (a “mini Buddha”) who had cultivated the paramithas for many-many aeons to uncover the Lokottara version of Buddha Saasana and establish it once again! He had many other special powers too but the most important one was to re-establish the declining Buddha Saasana. Such a Noble person comes to this world rarely. So we all should utilise this great fortune to realise the Four Noble Truths and attain the pure, suffering-free Nibbana. 

Huge merits to Ven. Janith Fernando Sir for providing the English subtitles. 

It’s highly recommended that all forum members listen to this Dhamma sermon.

Dhamma message at the Parinibbana of most Ven. Waharaka Thero

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Indeed. If it were not for the Waharaka Thero, most of us would still be “in the dark.” He uncovered many hidden concepts that have been hidden for centuries.

Gad
      Participant

Yes, that seems to make sense. One of my teachers told me about this type of person.

• These are people who had taken Bodhisatta vows to become Lord Buddhas. However, halfway through, they give up. It is extremely difficult and immeasurably long to become a Lord Buddha. In their last life, they quickly become arahants with extraordinary Dhamma teaching abilities. They understand the Dhamma and many key concepts very easily. They can help others understand them.

• My master said that many Bhikkhus take this vow, but few achieve it. Those who give up have probably seen the repeated suffering of the apayas that await them. A bodhisatta is always a Puthujuna and, therefore, subject to the apayas. Only those who have unwavering courage, like Lord Gotama, reach the end despite the suffering they will endure.

• Here is an example of a bhikkhu who sees rebirths in apayas despite his Bodhisatta vows. The vision of his past and future lives
      Those who give up along the way, thanks to their long training, generally quickly develop the final stage of accomplishment and become arahant, with great abilities to teach.”
      (Please translate into English with the three dots on the right of the screen. The page is in French.)

Yes, we must be grateful to Venerable Waharaka Thero 🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿.

Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Dear Dhamma friend (Gad),

I agree with you except this:  “A bodhisatta is always a Puthujuna and therefore subject to the apayas.”

We cannot compare a Bodhisatta with a puthujana. Although a Bodhisatta has not achieved magga phala, but he has much much higher wisdom as compared to a puthujana! 

A puthujjana gets frequently born into the apayas (its like their home base), but on the other hand a Bodhisattva (due to the power of his paramithas) gets to higher realms (human, deva, brahma) more frequently and less frequently in the apayas. 

One interesting fact, I would like to mention here. Samma Sambuddhas and  Pacceka Buddhas DO NOT attain sotapanna magga phala. They only attain Sakadagami, Anagami & Arahant magga phala. They have a different pathway.

Sotapanna stage is an additional stage only for the Noble disciples or the ariya savakas (one who enters the stream of Noble Eightfold path through listening to Dhamma). “Sota means “stream”, another meaning of “sota” is “ear”. Hence one who enters the stream by listening/hearing is called a Sotapanna.  That is the reason in Dutiyasariputta sutta (SN 55.5), Lord Buddha mentioned 4 factors required for someone to become a Sotapanna (the second factor is saddhammassavanaṁ which means listening to Saddhamma).

One more clarification, there are two types of Bodhisattvas.

(i) One is a “Bodhisattva candidate” (who aspires and is striving/working towards becoming a future Lord Buddha but still in the initial or intermediate stages).

(ii) The other one is a “confirmed Bodhisattva” (who is destined to become a Samma Sambuddha in the future, there is no turning back).

Many sentient beings start at (i) but only very few get to the (ii) stage. 

To achieve Samma Sambuddhahood, immense amount of Buddha Shakti (pure Buddha energy) is needed. Throughout millions of maha kappa (aeons), a Bodhisattva fulfills the 10 paramitas (perfections) and gathers immeasurable Buddha energy required to achieve Buddhahood.    Its very difficult even to imagine!

As for myself, I am also in the (i) stage. 

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
        Gad
        Participant

Dear friend of Dhamma (Saket): Thank you very much for your clarification. You are right about a lot of things. However, we can see in the Jātakas that the bodhisatta took rebirth several times as an animal. The animal kingdom is part of the apayas.

Nigrodhamiga Jātaka

One could say that a bodhisatta is a higher puthujuna who avoids apayas most of the time. This situation may apply to those who are not sotāpanna but who are accumulating the 10 paramis to realize the Dhamma, in a future sāsana, as disciples.

I strongly encourage you to pursue your aspirations and develop the 10 paramis to make your wishes come true. Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu 🙏🏿 May you achieve it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Thank you so much dear Dhamma friend (Gad). I really appreciate your support. 

May you achieve the Supreme peace of Nibbana soon! 

Sadu Sadu Sadu !

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.