Defilements removed at each stage of Magga Phala

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jorg
      Participant

I have created an overview of all the anusaya, asava, sanyojana and cetasika that are removed per major step on the path (magga phala).
      Please correct me if I have many any errors.
      I’ve added a question at the end.

Sōtapanna:
      Anusaya removed: ditthānusaya and vicikiccānusaya.
      Asava removed: ditthāsava.
      Sanyojana removed: sakkāya diṭṭhi, vicikiccha, sīlabbata-parāmāsa.
      Cetasika removed: diṭṭhi, vicikiccha, maccariya, kukkucca, thina, midda , issa. Moha, lobha, dosa change to avijā, raga, patigha.

Sakadāgāmi:
      A Sakadāgāmi doesn’t remove anything in particular but does weaken avija, raga, patigha further.

Anāgāmi:
      Anusaya removed: Kāmarāgānusaya and paṭighanusaya.
      Asava removed: kāmāsava.
      Sanyojana removed: kamaraga, vyapada.
      Cetasika removed: patigha*
      *As I understand, raga is a single cetasika but divided into three components; kamaraga, rupa raga, and arupa raga. Only kamaraga component is removed.

Arahant:
      Anusaya removed: Bhavarāgānusay, Avijjānusaya, and mānanusaya.
      Asava removed: bhavāsava, avijjāsava.
      Sanyojana removed: Rūpa-rāga, Arūpa-rāga, Māna, Uddhacca, Avijjā.
      Cetasika removed: avijjā, ahirika, anatoppa, uddhacca, māna.

A question regarding #4 and cetasika:
      Would it be accurate to say that asmi mana refers to the mana cetasika? In other words, our (perception of a) sense of “self” solely arises due to this cetasika?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Excellent.

1. Just to emphasize what Jorg already mentioned.
      – Moha is a universal akusala cetasika. See #6 of “Cetasika (Mental Factors)
      Therefore, it will be removed only at the Arahant stage.
      – However, as Jorg mentioned, moha reduced in strength to avijja at the Sotapanna stage and removed at the Arahant stage.
      P.S. Simultaneously, lobha is reduced to raga (kama raga, rupa raga, arupa raga) and dosa is reduced to patigha). See “Lōbha, Dōsa, Mōha versus Rāga, Paṭigha, Avijjā

2. Regarding Jorg’s question, which is related to #1 above:
      – Moha reduces in strength to avijja in two stages: (i) removal of 10 types of miccha ditthi BEFORE the Sotapanna stage, (ii) removal of the “wrong view” about an “unchanging self/soul/atman” at the Sotapanna stage. That second one is the same as the removal of sakkaya ditthi.
      – After the Sotapanna stage, the “perception of an unchanging self” or a “me” persists as “asmi mana” up to the Arahant stage. Of course, it reduces in strength at Sakadagami and Anagami stages.
      – So, the “perception of an unchanging self” starts reducing very early. Having “wrong views” enhances the “perception of an unchanging self.” Thus it starts dropping even before the Sotapanna stage.

3. It is imperative to appreciate the significance of the removal of ditthis, first with the removal of the ten types of miccha ditthi and then with the removal of sakkaya ditthi.
      – A huge amount of defilements are removed with the removal of those wrong views.
      – “Sakkaya ditthi” is almost the same as “attanuditthi” or the “wrong views of an unchanging self or me.”
      – See, “Sakkāyadiṭṭhipahāna Sutta (SN 35.166)” and “Attānudiṭṭhipahāna Sutta (SN 35. 167).”
      As we know, a Sotapanna gets on the Noble Eightfold Path by just comprehending the “wider worldview” of the Buddha. That leads to the removal of sakkaya ditthi/attanuditthi. Then one realizes that there could be much suffering when born in the apayas. The way one makes causes to be born in the apayas is explained by Paticca Samuppada. When one sees that, one realizes the anicca, dukkha, and anatta nature of this world.

Jorg
      Participant

Thank you for the added explanation, Lal.
      For a sakadagami and up, is the perception reduced then by the weakening of both the mana cetasika and the avija cetasika as one progresses?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. All such cetasika (kama raga, patigha, mana, uddhacca, avijja, as well as rupa raga and arupa raga) lose strength as one gets to Sakadagami and higher stages of Nibbana.

Jorg
      Participant

I said “For a sakadagami and up, is the perception reduced then by the weakening of both the mana cetasika and the avija cetasika as one progresses?”
      I meant the perception of a “self.”
      But I realize now that all these cetasika must contribute to that perception. As one loses these defilements, one starts seeing the truth of things at a deeper level, hence the weakening of that perception.
      Though, avija and mana may have relatively more influence on the sense of a “self.”

Lal
      Keymaster

“Though, avijja and mana may have relatively more influence on the sense of a “self.”

1. Yes. That is correct.

2. That is the main reason ALL asobhana cetasikas reduce strength as avijja and mana decrease.
      – It is the view and perception of “me” and “mine” that lead to ALL defilements (and akusala kamma), i.e., energize all asobhana cetasikas.
      – The largest change happens at the Sotapanna stage when one loses the wrong view of “me” by getting rid of sakkaya ditthi. Look at the list of asobhana cetasikas removed by a Sotapanna in your list in the first post. The Buddha said the fraction of defilements left in a Sotapanna compared to an average human is like a small pebble compared to a mountain.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Samana Johann
      Participant

Bhante Nañadassana had attached a good overview in his translation of the Wisdom and the Seventy-Three Kinds of Mundane and Supram, Nyom, Nyom.

Alternate format: wisdom_en.pdf (86 pp./0.9MB)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.